Comet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hvyme7al

Reaction score
I came up with a recipe the other day for an IPA featuring comet hops. My recipe calls for 8 ounces of comet hops, 2 ounces of those are for dry hopping. My bitterness ratio is 1.356. After researching the hop I am getting mixed reviews and was wondering if 8 ounces might be a little too much for this hop? Would appreciate any thoughts/tips.

I've only used Comet for flame out and dry hop, no more than 1oz. They are very pungent, not sure I would do an IPA with all Comet, but I'd probably do a APA for sure to see what it's like.

I used a heavy hand with it as a hopstand in a DIPA. It's pure grapefruit. Zest, pith, juice, the whole thing. The beer took a little time to round into form, but was eventually pretty good.

Most not so enthusiastic comments on that one are for the US Comet. Very citrusy from what I gather. Could be interesting. The good one is the German Comet. Also citrusy, but less so, cleaner in general, and you can pull blueberry from it. Depending on the year, method of addition, and freshness the blueberry note can range from wow to noticable. Thus an all comet IPA requires skill and luck, but when you hit it, oh my god, it´s insane.

Edit: Looking at the ones I can get right now the difference between the two Comets is suprisingly large: US has 12.2% alpha and the German one only 8.5%.

I love Comet; I did 4oz in a SMaSH APA and got a lot of flavor. I might consider bittering with something else, as it has a Chinook-like harshness at 60min.

This Comet description is very accurate:

Comet changed the beer completely. VERY potent hop. Very grapefruity, and dank.. Extremely dank hop when dry hopped with it. Makes Columbus seem tame! Had a semi tart grapefruit and melon aroma and flavor, and maybe a little tangelo in there.

Here is my Heady Topper revision, which I have not yet brewed. Nevertheless, having used Comet in the past, I really think it is in there but only about 2 oz. worth per 5 gallon batch.

1.074 / 1.011

86.9% Pearl Malt
4.60% Corn Sugar or Turbinado
4.60% White Wheat
3.90% Caramalt

13-14 ml HopShot @ 90 Minutes (shoot for about 155-170 IBUs)
2.50 oz. Simcoe @ 160 F, 45 Minute Hopstand
1.00 oz. Centennial @ 160 F, 45 Minute Hopstand
0.75 oz. Columbus @ 160 F, 45 Minute Hopstand
0.75 oz. Comet @ 160 F, 45 Minute Hopstand
1.50 oz. Simcoe @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.50 oz. Centennial @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.50 oz. Columbus @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.50 oz. Comet @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Apollo @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop

Conan @ 63 F, then ramp up to 68-70 F after ferm slows down/completes.

Looked at further stat details on the difference between German and US Comet: German has total oil content of 1-2g per 100g while the US gives of 1.4-3.3g per 100g.

Start to like like the German variety is restraint and noble (going with the European tradition), whereas the US variety is a bit of an overgrown brute (an intensity that makes many US hops great, but does not nececarily work on classics). Guess you can´t deny that the Hallertau region is brilliant for a lot of hops.

This though goes along with my experience: US Comet will get itself upfront, but you might not want it there. German Comet needs to be put up front to you, but if you get it there....oh my.
If you get US, exercise restraint in use. If you get German use restraint on all other hops you use. Oh, and hopstand ftw.

I can´t help you there I´m afraid. I am living in Sweden / Germany, so I have it easy and it still is hard since it is a very saught after hop. In the US I recon it would be a lucky grab.

I can´t help you there I´m afraid. I am living in Sweden / Germany, so I have it easy and it still is hard since it is a very saught after hop. In the US I recon it would be a lucky grab.

Ah well that makes sense. :)

Thanks for the info.

Any word on Canadian comet and if it's similar in intensity to the US variety? I picked up 8 oz last week and 2 oz are destined for a saison tomorrow. 1/3oz @60, 2/3oz @ 30, 1oz @ 2. That's Prairie Mountain Hops out of Winnipeg.

Latest posts

Back