Columbus and/or chinook in a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A2HB

Reaction score
I have a bunch of those hops and wanted to use them to make a porter, has anyone ever done that? I typically see english hops in porter recipes so was just trying to get some feedback before I start with anything. Thanks for any help

I currently have a porter in primary with:
  • 2 oz Cluster (60 min)
  • 1 oz Cascade (1 min)

In my opinion I would use the Chinook for bittering and Cascade for aroma.

I have columbus and chinook, not cascade and cluster, but thanks for the suggestion.

I've used chinook in a stout before. Thought it turned out ok. The pine seemed to work well with roast.

I have a bunch of those hops and wanted to use them to make a porter, has anyone ever done that? I typically see english hops in porter recipes so was just trying to get some feedback before I start with anything. Thanks for any help

Haven't tried either in a porter (though Columbus is one of my preferred bittering hops in general), but I don't see why you couldn't try. Maybe Columbus for bittering and go a bit lighter than you usually would with the Chinook for a little pine in the aroma?

Columbus makes a great bittering hop for many styles of beer, porter included. for a bit of hop flavor, you could use a bit of Chinook (1 oz or so) with around 15 mins remaining in the boil. I think those two hops would make a mighty fine American Porter. See the 2015 BJCP style guidelines category 20A for more in-depth specs.

I would go 100% Columbus early additions. You aren't looking for much hop character in a porter so realistically it doesn't matter which you choose as long as IBUs are in range.

Columbus tends to be "bitey" though, so use it sparingly

You can use them to bitter a traditional porter or add them late to make more of an export / India porter like the Kernel's. They are the world's best in my case if you haven't had them.

I'm going to have to support about 1.5 oz of chinook for 10 min for an american porter. Bitter with either to about 40 ibu total.

Ok great thanks for everyone's suggestions. So I think I'm going to use the columbus as the bittering hop and then maybe a touch of chinook/columbus blend at about 10 minutes for a touch of aroma and flavor. I want the chocolate/roastiness of this porter to be the shining point with the hops playing second fiddle so this sounds like a good plan to start.

Now to figure out the grist! lol

I've used Chinook as bittering in Bourbon Barrel Porters. Northern Brewer's recipe calls for it as the main bittering hop. Turned out great.

So I brewed the baltic porter this morning and ended up going with 85% 2 row, 8% brown malt, 4% dark munich, and 1.5% each chocolate rye and carafa 3. I went with all columbus hops since I realized it was the only bag I had open at the moment. Unfortunately I messed up my bittering addition by adding my hops too soon into the boil, so it's going to be a little higher than BJCP specs clocking in at 60 ibus, but that should still be ok. Wort is in my tub cooling now and when it's ready I'm pitching onto about a 3/4c of S-04 slurry I collected yesterday. Have good hopes for this beer hopefully it comes out like I'm hoping.

Being a Porter and Stout Guy , I'm in the camp of bittering taking a back seat....I guess It really is all about personal tastes for you...I prefer Porters to be on the very low end of the IBU scale High teens to low 20's.... 30 is about my limit on even a big porter. Anything above 40 is a BIPA in my opinion.

The only thing is i dont know what aa my columbus actually is since its homehrown hops from a friend of a friend. Brewers friend says columbus is 15 aa but im not certain if thats what these are. BIPAs are good too, well see how bitter it ends up being i only added about .5 oz of cones to three gallons of wort

I keep bitterness moderate to high in porters and stouts. Specially with the low gravity stuff it's a clear difference between them and the dark milds. Plus some extra bitterness makes them easier to drink. Check out some India Porter recipes (brewed for two hundred years now) and just use plenty of Columbus / Chinook.

A much cited recipe from brewery records is here:
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/lets-brew-special-1859-barclay-perkins.html

12 oz of Goldings in a 1.065 OG beer...

O.G. on this was 1.080. I was shooting for 1.072 but got better than planned efficiency for some reason. Giving my hops a bit of an adjustment to account for freshness, I adjusted the columbus AA's on brewer's friend to 14 and it put me at 39 ibu's so I think I might just be on style with this.

That's spot on for Baltic porter. I have a kind of love / hate relationship with those as often they are very malty, not particularly roasty, somewhat clean and sweet, and with very restrained bitterness. The Sinebrychoff porter and the Okocim porter are pretty good examples of the style if you can get your hands on them.

Imperial Porter?

Funny thing is I usually prefer brewing and drinking stouts to porters, but for some reason I thought I'd try my hand at brewing one. Oh well no matter how it turns out it's going to get drunk. Just hope it is not too sweet, I can deal with a little bitterness but I hate cloying sweetness

I just used Chinook in a clone of Yeti I just did and it turned out great. It's pretty hop forward for a stout, and I'm not sure how it would work in a porter, but it'd be fine for buttering and I'm sure you could sneak it in flavoring.

Latest posts

Back