Color question for extract brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't brewed with extract in a long time and I don't remember/never learned all the tricks and secrets. Here's the deal:

I want to keep my color as light as possible.
I know that boiling caramelizes and thus darkens the extract.

So, how long do I really need to boil extract and how much of it can I get away with adding later in the boil?

I'm using ten pounds of extract. Can I add like two pounds to the wort from my steep for the duration of the 60 min boil and then add the other 8 pounds 30-45 mins later?

Are you using dme or lme? You can add lme at flame out, and while I've heard of people adding dme at flame out I prefer to add it with 5-15 minutes remaining in the boil to ensure that it's all dissolved.

Are you using dme or lme? You can add lme at flame out, and while I've heard of people adding dme at flame out I prefer to add it with 5-15 minutes remaining in the boil to ensure that it's all dissolved.

I'm using LME. Thanks to you and other poster for the responses which 100% answered my question. The water is heating up as we speak. :rockin:

I haven't brewed with extract in a long time and I don't remember/never learned all the tricks and secrets. Here's the deal:

I want to keep my color as light as possible.
I know that boiling caramelizes and thus darkens the extract.

So, how long do I really need to boil extract and how much of it can I get away with adding later in the boil?

I'm using ten pounds of extract. Can I add like two pounds to the wort from my steep for the duration of the 60 min boil and then add the other 8 pounds 30-45 mins later?

This is a great question cause I too was wondering the same and was curious if I needed to do ALL-Grain to recieve the correct color. My experience is with mainly extract you get similar color with almost every batch Ive made in Ale style Beers. Just bottle a Bevarian Wheat and I have a Lager that looks like a light Ale but not like a Lager.

In my average ales,I use a 1.5 to 1.7kg can of LME (about 3.3 & 3.74lb) with 3lbs of plain DME. Half the bag 1.5lbs,or 2lbs if that's all the recipe calls for,in the 2.5-3 gallon boil. After it gets dissolved,I do whatever hop additions are called for. At flame out,I imediatly dissolve the other half of the DME,then all the LME till no more of it can be scrapped off the bottom of the BK. Cover & steep a couple of minutes,since it's still plenty hot enough to pasteurize. That happens at 162F.
So out of 8lbs of LME you have,just add 2lbs to the boil. The remainder at flame out.

Back