Color challenge - orange beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourstring

Reaction score
My marketing department at work found out I brew and have asked me to make a 'company beer' for a social media marketing spot. They'd like me to make a beer that looks like our company colors - bright orange and white. I'm thinking an orange-bodied beer with a fluffy white head. Obviously, if the taste also doesn't suck, that's a bonus.

Any ideas on the best way to get a bright orange body? I'm thinking a Maris base with lots of Munich II, and maybe a small amount of carapils or maybe wheat for head retention.

My marketing department at work found out I brew and have asked me to make a 'company beer' for a social media marketing spot. They'd like me to make a beer that looks like our company colors - bright orange and white. I'm thinking an orange-bodied beer with a fluffy white head. Obviously, if the taste also doesn't suck, that's a bonus.

Any ideas on the best way to get a bright orange body? I'm thinking a Maris base with lots of Munich II, and maybe a small amount of carapils or maybe wheat for head retention.

i think you're on the right track...i'd shoot for 8ish SRM and backlight it to make it pop.

Something like this?

attachment.php

@Yooper 's House Ale

Or, look at some of the "New England IPA" threads like the Treehouse Julius clone. Some of those beers look like orange juice with a white fluffy head on it.

[Blasphemy] A pale brew with orange food coloring. Maybe a touch of Orange kool-aid to compliment/enhance the color.[/Blasphemy]

Dee_Lynn

Cascade Orange Pale Ale here in the recipe section...has a nice orange hue with a nice orange hint in the beer!

:mug:

Thanks for the suggestions all! Keep 'em coming.

It's an odd exercise but I'm enjoying trying to work out this problem. Brewing (for me at least) has always been about nailing a style or experimenting with flavors. Color matters, but it's odd to try and brew a whole batch for no other purpose than it has to be 'this shade of orange'.

So Vienna, Munich, and Golden Promise all add orange. Anything else? What about a caramel 60 or roasted barley in tiny batches? Would biscuit do the same as Vienna in a pinch?

Maybe add some wheat to cloud it up, and then garnish the finished pour with a slice of orange. It might trick the eye into seeing more orange than copper.

I'm kind of considering it. Stupid question, but wouldn't that turn the head orange too?

Probably. But that made me think of an idea.

How about a Berliner Weisse. In Germany, they're usually served by pouring a flavored syrup into it. If you get some orange colored syrup, you could pour it in to flavor/color the body without affecting the head.

Well, like Munich...

Still to early to tell since this was raw (lots of yeast in the nose). I think it'll end up pretty sessionable, since I was mashed at 148 and it's all Perle hops.

Back