Color and Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVBen

Reaction score
I've noticed that on a couple of brewing programs (Beersmith 2 and Brewtarget), the color (SRM) of the resulting beer is based on the ingredients used, but they do not factor in efficiency.

The color should be correlated to the efficiency. Are the colors that they show for your brews based on 75% efficiency? Or is that the theoretical maximum color that you could end up with (if you had 100% efficiency)?

My intuition tells me that color is a lot easier to extract from grain than sugars. Thus, you always reach 100% of color extraction.

Not sure if this is exact though.

My intuition tells me that color is a lot easier to extract from grain than sugars. Thus, you always reach 100% of color extraction.

Not sure if this is exact though.

I know that isn't true, because you can do a second running and it doesn't come out at 0 SRM. The color of the second running is lighter (but not 0) and so is the sugar content.

Back