Coleman Xtreme - California chemical warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a cooler to build an electric HLT. I was looking at the Coleman X-Treme 50 qt cooler today. ($34 at Wally World) I noticed a warning label that said something like: "This cooler contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer."

So, now I'm doubting the whole idea of using a cooler. I am currently using a cooler for my mash tun but, I'm thinking that for a HLT the temps may be a bit on the high side.

Do you guys have any information to share? I've searched around a little but, I haven't found anything very useful.

People have been using the coolers for a long time. That is some legislation they've forced on all products that could cause cancer, but in this case, that may be it "burning" etc. who knows... I'd doubt brewing in it could cause any adverse effects, but then again, I'm no scientist :)

Everything in California now has this label... Hell, my daughter came out with it stuck to her forehead!

Don't worry about it.

"This cooler contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer."

I'm convinced that the cages they use for lab rats in California cause cancer.

Some lawyer somewhere in California owns interest in a label making company.​

ive been using my cooler for a while now and ive only had to get one possible cancer spot on my lower area removed. just kidding. i doubt it'll give you cancer, alot of people use those and their still cancer free, i think?

Cancer is actually a birth defect. A certain percentage of all people that are born get cancer sometime in their life. This is proof positive that being born causes cancer as well as a host of other diseases. Please use birth control and do not put any more children at risk.:(

If you're really worried, call Coleman and ask what chemical the label is referring to. Also, these coolers are made with food grade plastics, so ask them how they can claim FDA Indirect Food Contact status and be using "chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer" in the construction of the cooler.

If it's only known by the state of CA, don't worry about it, we're populated mostly by stupid hippies that freak out before actually learning about something.

I used to work at a pet retail store that sold biodegradable bags that said "Biodegradable! *Except in California" People would look at me and go "Is there something wrong with our soil?" and I would just say "No, Californians are just stupid."

*Not a CA native

Yeah, California does freak out over everything. Its the liberal hippies. You'll be fine! It can't be any worse for you than fast food.

speaking of grocery bags, why does everyone have those homemade bags? are they trying to save the envirement?

Back