Coleman MLT Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
Ok, heres my simple contribution to the state of the art of brewing.
My MLT is a converted rectangular cooler that was gathering dust in the garage. The cooler works well holding temperature as long as I cover it with a blanket.
I realized that the lid had no insulation! On a cool day, I can feel heat that the lid gives off.
So here is my resolution. I drilled 4 holes only through the top of the lid at the 4 corners of the top. These 1/4" holes gave me access to the hollow core of the lid.
I sprayed that insulating, expanding spray foam that you can buy at Home Depot into the holes to allow the foam to fill the inside of the lid.
The foam expands and fills the hollow core of the lid and greatly increases the insulating properties of the lid.
I no longer need to wrap my MLT with a blanket to hold temperature.
Good Times.:ban:

The goo only expanded near the holes. The entire inside of your lid is still goo. Ask me how I know.

The expandy foam that I bought comes in a spray can with about a 10" long applicator tube so I could spray the foam deep into the hollow core of the lid. As the foam is released, it expands automatically fills the space nicely.

Petho said:
The expandy foam that I bought comes in a spray can with about a 10" long applicator tube so I could spray the foam deep into the hollow core of the lid. As the foam is released, it expands automatically fills the space nicely.

Doesn't matter how far in you spray it, it does not cure if not exposed to air. Drill another hole in the middle of the lid and take a whiff. That should tell you all that you need to know.

Doesn't matter how far in you spray it, it does not cure if not exposed to air. Drill another hole in the middle of the lid and take a whiff. That should tell you all that you need to know.

I have tried this with the same success as eobie. You need some way to air to the foam for it to expand. Make the holes large and you might have success. Mark

Latest posts

Back