Coleman 52 quart conversion to mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I just built a mash tun with that cooler. I raided a friend's part bins to make mine, but here is the general idea of what I used:

After I removed the plastic spigot, I had to trim the hole to fit the coupler and then used high-temp, food safe silicon caulk around the coupler both inside and out to make sure it was water tight. Hope this helps!

I just built a mash tun with that cooler. I raided a friend's part bins to make mine, but here is the general idea of what I used:

After I removed the plastic spigot, I had to trim the hole to fit the coupler and then used high-temp, food safe silicon caulk around the coupler both inside and out to make sure it was water tight. Hope this helps!

I'm using a very similar setup with the same cooler. Works great.

If I were buying parts again, though, I'd buy one of these instead:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkheadfem.htm

Add a ball valve on the outside and bazooka screen on the inside and you're in business.

so I went through my plumbing parts I already have. I already have the brass 1/2" ball valve and the brass barb for the outside. So I need the rod (I don't know what you call it) that goes into the cooler. I need a washer for the outside, a gasket/oring for the inside, and a locking nut for the inside. A friend has a spare coupler and bazooka screen.

I use that same cooler as my mash tun, picked up this kit to complete it.
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3-pc-ss-weldless-bazooka-kit

Its quite a thick walled cooler so I had to make sure to get the larger bulkhead.

If I did it again I would look into the bag though, seems "Mash In A Bag" is gaining a lot of steam these days.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/17/brew-in-a-bag-in-a-cooler-reviewing-the-brew-bags-mlt-filter/

Best of luck!

Looking to convert my own 52qt Coleman Xtreme into a mash tun but was wondering if you would upgrade to the "cooler size" option or the "thick bulkhead" size? Thanks for the help.

Looking to convert my own 52qt Coleman Xtreme into a mash tun but was wondering if you would upgrade to the "cooler size" option or the "thick bulkhead" size? Thanks for the help.

From OBK I believe the options have changed since I ordered my parts. In my conversation with them at the time I stated that the cooler wall of my 52qt Coleman Xtreme was 3/4 inch and went with the option allowing between 5/8" and 1" which is now called "Thick Bulkhead"

Over the past while I have settled on a configuration using some of the parts included in this kit as well as the original gasket that is a part of the cooler. I found this to be the best at keeping things sealed and tight. I can give you the layout of which part goes where later if you like.

All in all, I have been happy with the conversion.

My mash tun is with this cooler. I just shoved some 3/8 ID silicone tubing through the drain and it formed a water tight seal. I then added a cheap plastic valve to the outside and did the SS braided hose for a filter on the other. Was under $10 in parts after buying the cooler.

Back