Coldcrash before kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1105

Reaction score
I have heard of brewers cold crashing the carboy for 24 hours prior to kegging. I assume this just means chest freezer at 40 degrees. Is the purpose of this to clean up the beer before kegging? Thanks.

40 degrees will work. Proteins and what not drop out of suspension clearing the beer.

I never bother crashing before kegging anymore, I saw no benefit. The first few days kegged essentially is the cold crash. The first pint of mine often have some sediment but that's about it. To get rid of the chill haze and really hit that crystal clear stage seems to take a couple weeks anyway, IMO chilling a day or two before transfer just seems a waste of time.

I will say that my beers tend to sit in primary 3-4 wks and get a nice compact cake so not much junk goes in the keg, YRMV.

fwiw, I cold crash to 34°F (which takes a good day or more to get to from the mid 60s fermentation temps at which I usually run my brews) then hold it there for a few days before kegging. And I allow at least two weeks for carbonation, usually three. The result is about two tablespoons of yeast coating the keg bottom, and nice clear pulls...

Cheers!

fwiw, I cold crash to 34°F (which takes a good day or more to get to from the mid 60s fermentation temps at which I usually run my brews) then hold it there for a few days before kegging. And I allow at least two weeks for carbonation, usually three. The result is about two tablespoons of yeast coating the keg bottom, and nice clear pulls...

Makes good sense, I'd call that a true crash. My only fermenting freezer is usually at ale temps so I even have to do my lagering in the keezer at 40-41* (I know, not ideal but I don't do all that many lagers). For me a day or so "cold crash" at 40 is no different than just kegging.

Its worked good for me for loose pellot dryhopping,although I will mostly only do it if I was going to keg not bottle.It could take a little longer for carbonation if bottleing. If you dont filter cold crashing is like almost a substitute for filtering without actuallly filtering it. I almost want to start secondarying if I know Im kegging now,just because I always seem to not get a good clean racking anymore mainly due to dryhopping. I think Im going to grind leaf hops and use a long muslin bag and stick a butter knife in with it to dryhop from now on. Im getting tired of the problems associated with loose dryhopping and racking.
Cold crashing only a day didnt work(maybe should have done 2-3) with loose leaf hops,some sank to the bottom most didnt,it was a nightmare trying to rack it even with an autosiphon. Not to mention the flapper valve came out of my autosiphon trying to clean hops out of it,now Its worthless without it. Had to use the ol racking cane.

A tip you can use or not: dry hop with pellets, cold crash the mush to the bottom (takes ~3 days @ 34°F) then rack clear beer to your keg.

I've never tried this with cones, but it works every time with pellets...

Cheers!

[edit] Grinding hops should be a last resort as you know you're losing something to the grinder...

Back