cold steeping dark grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonley

Reaction score
cold steeping dark grains separately, plan on adding this to the last 10 minutes of my boil. I adjust my main mash water with gypsum and was wondering if anyone has any input on whether or not I should adjust the water of my separatly steeped dark grain ?

If you're doing an all grain batch, why not just "cap the mash" with the dark grains right before you sparge? I do this all the time, especially for Schwarzbiers when I don't want Carafa/Chocolate to go through the decoction. Works great with zero astringency and subtle roast flavors.

For the cold steep, it would be a good idea to plug in your water and grain quantities to a water calculator to be sure your pH isn't too low. Also check the pH with strips or a meter just to be safe.

I've never cold steeped but would love to learn more behind your method/reasoning.

Cheers!

I have cold steeped Black patent in the past, no astringency and subtle roast flavors. I just grind it in the spice grinder to like coffee, and add X water, steep overnight.

I have cold steeped in the past and just used plain RO water. It seemed to do the trick and gave me the flavors/colors without astringency. Next go round on my brown ale I think I will split the cold steep into two containers and treat one then compare the flavor.

Latest posts

Back