Cold enough for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate22

Reaction score
I just brewed my first lager (Czech Pils) and I used WYeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast. I just transferred it to a keg for lagering but it looks like I can only get my kegerator as low as 40 degrees F. Is that going to be cold enough? I’ve read it should be in the low to mid 30s. I was planning on lagering for 30-60 days depending on how patient I can be :). What do you think?

I say go for it. If you can only get it to 40°F, just lager it for longer. I can only get my coolbag down to 8°C, which is like 47°F or something. My lagers come out fine.

40°F is fine. That's about the temp of the beer fridge in my garage during the summer and I lager in there just fine.

I say go for it. If you can only get it to 40°F, just lager it for longer. I can only get my coolbag down to 8°C, which is like 47°F or something. My lagers come out fine.

Sorry for hijacking, but are you referring to the Coolbrewing bag?

If so, how much ice do you use to get it that cold?

I usually use 4 1.5L ice bottles at a time. I have 8 bottles all-up, 4 in the bag and 4 in the freezer. In summer, I rotate them every 24 hours and in winter every day and a half. I have a few extra smaller bottles that I add in as needed.

My house is double-brick and isn't insulated, so temps stay cool-ish year-round. Winter averages 15°C inside on a sunny day, which is perfect for the coolbag and lagering. Summer temps definately increase but I tend to limit my brewing in summer (partially due to outside temps, partially due to fire-bans).

Nice. :) I've never actually tried a lager... not sure I have a desire to... but have wondered if I could get it to work in the cooler bag. Nice to know it's got potential, with enough ice bottles. :)

I love the bag for general temp. control on my ales.

Back