Cold Crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araknaphob1c

Reaction score
Does cold crashing cause all of the yeast to flocculate or does some remain in suspension? The reason I ask is I'm considering cold crashing my latest batch and I was going to add priming sugar before I bottle but if there isn't any yeast left in the liquid does it make priming sugar useless? I'm still ignorant to the way yeast behaves :confused:

Any information would be appreciated.

Cold crashing will not remove all the yeast. There will still be plenty left for bottling. If you cold crash for 6 months, then maybe consider pitching some more, but a normal cold crash of a few days to a couple weeks will not be a problem.

Yup, unless your cold crash is months long, like a good lagering period, no need to worry about adding yeast. Most of the yeast will drop out, but there will still be tons in suspension (just not enough to make the beer look cloudy).

Latest posts

Back