Cold crashing temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
This is not the standard cold crash question.....

I just got an extra keg and have room in my kegerator to fit all 4. I can only serve 3 at a time, so the extra keg will be used to let the beer carbonate, as well as to cold crash the beer before serving. I dont mind a few pints with sediment, as long as the majority of it is clear.

Anyways, i keep my kegerator on the warm side (44) because I like my beer at that temp. So is this an okay temperature to cold crash/age an ale? Will this be enough to help precipitate out proteins, chill haze, etc?

I have a fermentation chamber, but it only holds 1 fermenter/carboy and its almost always in use. I can easily get the beer down to 30 in there (lagering a doppelbock at that temp as i type), but I just dont have the space right now to be able to cold age something in there for 2 weeks.

For ales I usually crash at 34f. The idea is to get yeast out of suspension quick and clear your beer. This takes no more than 2 days. Then I rack to a keg to condition. Sorry but at 44f your not crashing, but your aging or conditioning. If you leave one in the 44f temp it will clear out after time, sediment won't be an issue.

Back