Cold crashing secondary/serving vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mijclarke

Reaction score
I was planning on quickly dropping my kegs temp from 70 to 50 by placing in fridge for 24 hours, then place in basement closet and dry hop around 55 degrees. I transferred beer to keg on day 5 so it’s my secondary fermentation vessel but I plan to serve from it as well (dip tube has been shortened 2 in). I’m worried about shocking the yeast and creating off flavors. Is there a general rule on how quickly I can safely cool beer? Using omega cosmic punch yeast (British Ale 5) for a 7.5% NEIPA

It's my experience that you can crash it as fast as you can with out any ill side effects. I could be imagining it as well but I feel that the faster you crash, the better everything drops out. I could be crazy on that though.

Whenever I'm ready to crash, I just turn my glycol chiller on and set it to 38F and let it go to work with no interruptions.

Cheers!

Back