Cold Crashing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I recently acquired a refrigerator that I can dedicate to beer. I've not cold-crashed before so I have a question.

I've read that one ought to begin cold-crashing about 2-3 days before bottling. How does this work in conjunction with dry-hopping? I have 3 days left on a dry hopping schedule for the beer I'd like to cold-crash... just chuck the fermenter in the fridge, hops 'n' all?

Thanks!

I recently acquired a refrigerator that I can dedicate to beer. I've not cold-crashed before so I have a question.

I've read that one ought to begin cold-crashing about 2-3 days before bottling. How does this work in conjunction with dry-hopping? I have 3 days left on a dry hopping schedule for the beer I'd like to cold-crash... just chuck the fermenter in the fridge, hops 'n' all?

Thanks!

Basically, yes, allow the dry hop to finish, cold crash a few days and then package.

Sent from the Commune

ah, ok, so I wait for the dry hopping schedule to end and then cold crash. Thanks!

That's what I do. Pull out the hop bag and then turn the temp down to 40F for a few days before packaging.

I don't have the hops in a hop bag... they're floaters.

Do you let the temperature come back up to room temp before bottling? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I bottle and keg cold. No need to bring the temp up before packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Give the cold crash time. 3 days should be the bare minimum. I let mine go 5-7 days at 35-36*F for very nice clarity.

Bottle cold. If using a priming calculator, input the highest temp the beer saw prior to the cold crash.

Back