Cold crashing/Problems with carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMan1029

Reaction score
Can cold crashing cause problems with bottle conditioning and carbonation? Have been adding 5oz of priming sugar to my batches. As I understand it, the remaining yeast eats the priming sugar and creates CO2 and carbonation. I have cold crashed two batches. A pumpkin ale, had great success with that....it really helped drop everything out and I had no problems with carbonation. Most recently did a Winter Warmer, and while it did a great job clearing the beer up, I have not had good carbonation with it at all. It was cold crashed outside for 24 hours. Average temperature was 32 deg F. Is that too cold? Did I kill yeast and inhibit my ability to get carbonation?

Merry Christmas!

5 oz is a little high, but nothing crazy. I would guess that the winter warmer is higher in alcohol than the pumpkin, and from my experience higher alcohol beers take longer to carbonate.

Also, 32 is a little too cold IMO to cold crash. I usually shoot for 4-5 days at 37-38

Shouldn't be a problem. 24 hrs is nothing for a cold crash with regards to the remaining yeast being viable.

I've had my brew fermenting for a week, stable gravity readings after about day 6. I then cold crashed for about 5 days now. So total, I've had it in the primary for nearly 2 weeks. Reading this post, I have to ask if I should place my batch back inside and let some yeast 'reawaken' before bottling? For carb and explosion reasons.
Any thoughts?

I've had my brew fermenting for a week, stable gravity readings after about day 6. I then cold crashed for about 5 days now. So total, I've had it in the primary for nearly 2 weeks. Reading this post, I have to ask if I should place my batch back inside and let some yeast 'reawaken' before bottling? For carb and explosion reasons.
Any thoughts?

It's not necessary to warm it up. You can just bottle it as is.

Back