Cold crashing outside.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawnnyO

Reaction score
Hi l made a red ale on February 12. I transferred it to a keg feb 26. I am cold crashing it today because it is warm (-2C now, up to +1C this afternoon). It will be -4C at 11pm, and to -9C overnight. About how long should I leave it outside for. My basement is +8C. When I bring it in I think I will just hook it up to the co2. Will this be a reasonable cold crash. Thanks

Maybe a dumb question but don't you have a kegerator or keezer? Where was your kegged beer between Feb 26th and now?

You want to have + pressure while cold crashing

A typical cold crash for an ale would be just above freezing for 2-3 days. That gives things a chance to settle.

I've thought about doing it outside too as I don't have a freezer for brewing yet. When you cold crash you are essentially just lagering for 3 days right?

I typically drop the temp over 24 hours then hold for a day or two before kegging. I force carb the cold beer through the liquid port at 30PSI while rocking the keg for a few minutes at first, then for a minute every little bit while cleaning up. Then I put it on 30PSI through the gas port for ~24 hours before reducing to serving pressure. I'll usually get a little crud in the first 1/4-1/2 pour. After that that point its typically quite drinkable but obviously gets better over the next week.

I have considered using the stairwell from the basement to outside for cold crashing kegs this time of year. I suspect even when the temps get into the 20's overnight its not getting that cold enough for long enough to actually cause any freezing. Really need to pick up a cheap logging thermometer to see if doable. I wish we had a "cold room" under our porch like they sometimes do in our area.

I thought I had replied to jag75, but it seems I only replied to the email alert that was sent.
I do have a kegerator, but it is at 8C which is my basement temperature. If I turn it on even at low the fridge. Goes too cold. I have run out of conditioned beer for a few days so will try turning it on again now while I drink some store bought. I brew in my basement and use an ink bird and heating pad while fermenting.
I brought the keg in the same evening I put it out once temp dropped to -2C. So I probably only got a cold fender bender.

Will the suspended yeast die if you cold crash for too long?
Yeast are heartier than you think. They will go dormant and if you cold crashed for many weeks they might die. I have cold crashed and layered for 4-6 weeks with no issues.

I thought I had replied to jag75, but it seems I only replied to the email alert that was sent.
I do have a kegerator, but it is at 8C which is my basement temperature. If I turn it on even at low the fridge. Goes too cold. I have run out of conditioned beer for a few days so will try turning it on again now while I drink some store bought. I brew in my basement and use an ink bird and heating pad while fermenting.
I brought the keg in the same evening I put it out once temp dropped to -2C. So I probably only got a cold fender bender.

@JawnnyO can you clarify here? To me, this doesn't make sense. You have a kegerator that goes too cold for cold crashing? Unless this is a big chest freezer with no temperature controller, I don't see it getting too cold for cold crashing. As close as you can get to freezing is best.

Most kegerators have a temperature control on them. Is yours set to the absolute coldest by chance?

I now have my kegerator which is a small fridge to stay between 3 and 5*C. My strategy is to have one beer on tap, one carbonating and one fermenting. When I empty my tapped keg I brew again.
I ferment at 18-19*C. My fermentor won’t fit in the fridge. So I transfer to a keg and start carbonating at 12 psi between 3-5*C.

I cold crash outside on my porch when its cold enough, I've done it for a while without issues. If I'm using a carboy, I only use the plastic kind in case it freezes.

Back