Cold Crashing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie_JD

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer with temperature controller, great for cold crashing beer to help clear it and compact the trub. I want to do it with a blond ale that finished fermenting, but my freezer also acts as storage for other beer that it still maturing in bottles.

I wonder what effect the cold crashing to say 35 would have on the bottles?

Bottle conditioning/carbing takes place best at 70-75*F. Mine are in boxes in a closet.

Perhaps you should consider removing the bottles from the unit while you cold crash.

If you are just storing the bottles, chilling to 35 will make them cold. If you are aging, it will slow down the aging process. Which could be a good thing if the beer is hoppy or you happened to accidentally oxidize it (cold will help hold hop flavor and keep oxidation issues from progressing).

Sorry should have clarified, they are past carbing stage, probably about 6 weeks at this point. GOod point about the hops, it's an APA in bottles so that might help preserve it a bit longer.

Sorry should have clarified, they are past carbing stage, probably about 6 weeks at this point. GOod point about the hops, it's an APA in bottles so that might help preserve it a bit longer.

At six weeks (at the correct temps), an APA ought to be fully matured. Taking it to 35*F won't harm it a bit.

Back