cold crashing in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hello all,
so ive got a batch bottled up and is at the 3/4 week mark. theve carbed up ( i use 2l plastics, so i can tell by firmness). i dont have a spare or a large fridge/cooler so i cant cold crash the ferment bucket before bottling. the only thing i can do is cold crash the bottles one or two at a time in my fridge.

thing is, if i put each one in the fridge for 4/5 days take it out a mark it so i know its been in and put it back with the rest, will that bottle stay crashed? or will the return to room temp stir up the yeast again making it pointless?

They should stay crashed as long as it is ale yeast. However, don't expect the aging process to stop. I have cold crashed bottles and let them stay in the fridge for well over 6 months and they continued to age.

FYI. Putting a bottle in the refrigerator is called . . . refrigeration. It’s part of the normal routine. The point of cold crashing is to speed up and improve the clearing process before packaging. Its purpose is to give you clearer beer going into the bottle or keg.

If I were you, I'd always keep as many bottles as possible in the fridge. Mark the date you put it in on the lid with a sharpie and drink the oldest ones first.

thanks guys! yeh i plan to mark them so i know whats what. ive normal only got space for 1 bottle at a time :(

thanks again

Back