Cold crashing - frozen airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simporkchops

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I have just put a batch of beer out in the garage to cold crash. Right now night time temps are getting to about 20*F. I have my baby wrapped up in blankets and under a light bulb to keep it warm but I am wondering if the airlock freezing up would be bad for the glass Carboy? Should I not cold crash in the garage with these temps?

Thanks in advance!
Sim

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hello all,

So I have just put a batch of beer out in the garage to cold crash. Right now night time temps are getting to about 20*F. I have my baby wrapped up in blankets and under a light bulb to keep it warm but I am wondering if the airlock freezing up would be bad for the glass Carboy? Should I not cold crash in the garage with these temps?

Thanks in advance!
Sim

Don't know. Just pull the airlock/bung out, and plastic wrap the top of the carboy with an elastic band.

--Adam Selene

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
Sim

Use vodka, no freeze!

Nice, one for the chef for sure.
Used the plastic wrap and elastic for now. It has chilled out for about 24 hours so far. I plan on bottling on Saturday and starting a cream ale batch on Saturday too! I'll have to get some vodka before then.
Thanks agian.
Sim

+1 on removing the airlock. I do it every time I cold crash. Just dip a piece of tin foil in star san and put it over the end of the carboy and crimp it on tight. Whatever liquid you put in an airlock may not freeze, but more often than not, it will suck into your carboy during cold crash. Some liquids like vodka will not hurt your beer, but I don't like introducing anything into the carboy.

Latest posts

Back