COLD CRASHERS: How do you schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typebrad

Reaction score
I only really have time to brew on weekends. I have one chest freezer and I'm a cold crasher.

This really screws with my ferment/dry hop schedule in starting new batches.

If I brew two weekends in a row, then one batch will end up with two weeks fermenting, and the most recent brew with only a week to ferment so they get on the same schedule when it's time to cold crash.

Is it bad if one batch ferments for two weeks while one only goes a week?

Am I over-thinking this?

/Will always still be figuring it out/

I'm new to this AG myself so I'll just tell you what has worked for me and this is MY preference doesn't have to be yours. But I always plan on keeping a beer in primary for 14 days so I'll check FG at day 10 and 14 and if its stable I'll throw in my dryhops, I do all in primary, then dry hop at ambient basement temp which is 64deg now for 4-5 days then cold crash in my garage fridge for 3-5 days. My last couple beers I've cold crashed for 5 days have come out alot clearer don't know if its the compacting of the yeast and hop cake or my racking skills have improved but I get everything out of my bucket/carboy with minimal sediment, granted there will always be some so I may leave 10oz if that in the bottling bucket to hop particulates. Never had any grassiness either from leaving the hops in over 7 days. Take this for what its worth and hope it helps ya a little.

10-14 days in primary. 7 days in the keezer no gas. 7-10 days on gas to carb. ends up spending nearly two weeks cold before I pour one and check it. First time I hook it up to gas I pour off the sediment at the bottom then again after carbing. Once it stops pouring all milky I try it.

4-7 days primary
Cold crash 3 days
Keg, let warm to room temp.
Dry hop 5 days
Remove dry hop, crash again and carb

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

2-a-day is totally realistic any season other than the current one. The garage destroys me after one batch. Hot, hot, hot! That's the answer though, if I'm going to crash everything I brew.

/Will always still be figuring it out/

Back