cold crash worth moving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbenet

Reaction score
hey beer folk,
I've got an IPA that is dry-hopping in secondary at 64F. I was thinking I might try cold-crashing it as it seems like a common method of improving clarity. Unfortunately I don't have a keezer or space in my home fridge for my secondary. I do have a mostly empty fridge at work which is only a couple miles away. My secondary has been dry-hopping in the closet for 10 days and I plan on bottling next week. I would appreciate any ideas on whether or not cold crashing will be worth having to transport my secondary by car and presumably disturb some of the trub.
Thanks

To put it simply, I don't think it is worth it. A day or two in the fridge will drop the hops if some are still floating but I would think that it would slosh on the way home unless there is pretty much no airspace and your drive has no turns. Seems like more hassle than it is worth.

Just get a chest freezer and use that...you will need it anyway when you start brewing lagers! :)

I cold crash by putting the bucket in my igloo cooler (which also doubles as my mash tun), filling it up with water and putting a bunch of frozen water bottles in there. Once it drops the temp down to the 30's, I can then swap out a smaller number of bottles a couple of times per day to keep it at that temp for a few days.

If you were going to bottle at work I'd say its worth it, but as steeler mentioned if you have to drive it back home you might get some stuff back in suspension. Too bad you don't live in the midwest you could put it in your garage or your back porch and be done cold crashing in about 2 hours. Its been cold here.

I likethe igloo idea for an improvised method. I have a feremntation camber I can get into the high 30's this time of year if I need also.

thanks guys. we had very little food in our fridge right now so I cleared a space and put my secondary in the fridge at home. convinced my girlfriend that it would only be in there a couple days and that the fridge was empty 'cause it was her turn to buy groceries anyway. its been two days and most of the hops has already dropped.

Back