cold crash in fermentor or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyager

Reaction score
I've tried searching and reading up on this, but I can't really find the discussion or answers I'm looking for. I'm trying to decide which is better... crashing in the fermenter and transferring cold beer into the keg, or transferring the beer warm.

On one hand, I can see having the beer cold during transfer would lead to a slower rate of oxidation. But on the other hand, I can see it picking up more oxygen overall because it is cold. Thoughts?

I crash in the fermenter... then transfer to keg while cold. Purge your keg and racking cane with C02 if worried about oxidation, I personally have done it both ways (purge and no purge) and have never tasted "oxidation". In reality beer in a keg is just an extended cold crash. You will notice the beer getting more and more clear as you drink it. It's somewhat surprising how much still settles out of the beer while kegged.

I see no reason to warm your beer after initial cold crash. Crash, keg, serve.

I have done I both ways and never had an oxidation problem. I am very careful with the transfer so I never had an oxidation problem. Then, a keg never lasts that long around my house.

Cold crashing lets the yeast drop out of suspension. If you cold crash in the keg, you’ll just end up with yeast in the poured beer when you tap it. Cold crash in the fermenter, and purge everything with CO2. You’ll end up with clearer beer in the end.

I don't cold crash just transfer to the keg at the end of fermentation. Most of the yeast has already fallen out of suspension so not much in the keg. Usually less than a pint of cloudy stuff when first tapped. I set and forget carb so in 10 days to 2weeks it is already quite clear, most beer is pretty clear in another week or two.

Latest posts

Back