Cold crash cider or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siman

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I started fermenting Muntons autumn blushg cider week and a half ago. Started at temperature 14-15C and moved after week to 19C its now gone from 1.060 to 1.015 and im hitting FG soon i guess, will let it clear up few days after that. There is lot of sediment in this Cider, instructions dont mention anything about cold crashing but i read that its good thing to do with ciders. Should i put primary fermenter to fridge after FG is reached and for how long should i keep it there ( dont wanna kill yeast off ), Or should i rack it to 2nd fermenter and bottle + add sugar for carbonation and after couple of weeks in room temperature cold crash bottles?

I cold crash my ciders (and beers) in the primary for a week at 35*F. That does a nice job of clearing them and results in less yeast sediment in the bottles if you bottle carb.

I do not secondary a cider. I do often keg them, add potassium sorbate then back sweeten/spice. The last one was served uncarbonated and tasted delicious. Got a first place "people's choice" award in the cider/mead flight at a recent brewfest. I've another batch of that same recipe finishing ferment now.

Actually my fridge seems little too small for fermeter just tried to fit in.. didnt go. I have cellar area which is 45f / 7.5C stable, is this enough for cold crashing? If i keep it more than a week?

I think you want 33-34 °F for cold crashing. ~40+ °F will help but it isn't the same. Don't worry about killing the yeast. It will go dormant and precipitate, but even freezing will not kill it. At your temp, it should clear nicely especially if degassed and should have enough yeast in suspension to eventually carb your bottles.

I will put it to 45f for week after FG is reached for couple of days. This is my first cider batch sorry for noobie question. Do i need to stir cider heavy or shake fermenter to degass it?
Also another question, after cold crashing. Can i bottle + prime (1 teaspoon sugar per 500ml bottle) it straight away or does it need to be in room temperature after cold crashing?

thx in advance

When you rack it. It tends to Degas as you move it into bottling bucket and bottles.

I suggest priming from the bottling bucket, and since you didn't give the volume of cider, I can't suggest a sugar amount. Some people like their cider fizzy like soda, and others like a very small amount of carbonation. There are many calculators available to help you.

I made it only 17 liters for better flavor. Using diy coopers new beer fermenter as primary, i can bottle or take hydrometer readings easily without opening it. Kinda like both really carbonated and less carbonated ciders. I have few buckets so i could add different amount in half bottles. I have dextrose and white normal tablesugar which is better for priming dry cider? Og was 1.060 and fg seems final now 1.011

Thx

Latest posts

Back