Cold crash and gelatin for wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
74 batches of beer, but my 1st batch of wine, so I have a newbie question that I'm sure will be answered with one word- Patience. But here goes anyways:
1G batch of Dandelion wine which I racked for the 1st time over the weekend, 10 days after starting it. I followed Yooper's recipe. Now, if this was a beer I would think about cold crashing and hitting it with a dose of gelatin to speed up the clarification. Read a couple of threads in this section, all of them fairly old, some that indicated that's it's OK, and others that indicated it might actually make things worse.
So what is the current consensus among wine makers? Cold crash plus gelatin or just wait and let it clear naturally? Or maybe use something else other than gelatin?
Thanks for your opinions! Go......

Once it's done, cold stabilization (essentially cold crashing, but sometimes lengthy) is a valid technique.

Gelatin is a good fining, if the wine needs it. Remember that positive finings fix negative charged hazes- so before blindly adding gelatin, make sure of what is causing any haze. You shouldn't have a haze after cold stabilization, but sometimes wines can be stubborn to clear.

Thanks Yooper. It actually looks like it's clearing fairly quickly- it's only been 4 days in the secondary and I can see the haziness line dropping. I don't plan on touching it for a month, and then probably racking it again for more settling.

Back