Cold crash a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so they are supposed to be hazy. Isn't the only point in cold crashing the clarify?

davis119 said:
I don't think so they are supposed to be hazy. Isn't the only point in cold crashing the clarify?

Hefeweizens are hazy. American wheat should be clear. OP yeast did you use? Cal Ale Yeast? If so cold crash.

There is no excuse to ever crash a Hefeweizen.

If you want a clear Kristalweizen, then you can crash it.

See: Weihenstephaner Kristalweizen

bobbrews said:
There is no excuse to ever crash a Hefeweizen.

If you want a clear Kristalweizen, then you can crash it.

See: Weihenstephaner Kristalweizen

He's using a kolsh yeast. He said this is an American wheat, not a Hefeweizen.

I realize, but the title is misleading (Cold crash a hefe?) so to make things clear...

Never crash a hefe.

No offense to bobbrews but I can see a time when you would cold crash a hefe. If you know the final concentration of yeast you want in your hefe, you could use cold crashing to reduce the amount of yeast in solution.

Commercial breweries typically have an ideal concentration of yeast which they want in their hefe's. However, in commercial breweries this is commonly achieved by filtration. It could be achieved also by cold crashing but this would need a somewhat sophisticated setup. You would need to be able to accurately control you internal beer temperature and you would need to be able to do cell counts via a microscope and hemocytometer.

You may be able to find a chart online similar to a phase chart for materials but developing your own procedure with the use of analytical tools would be the best way to go. Good luck with your wheat beer.

There are other ways to reduce the amount of yeast in commercial hefes (if that even is a common practice though I doubt it). Either way, I don't think that cooling hectalitres of beer to sub 40F would do anything good for a hefe. And filtration is done, to some extent, for every beer style... but it is certainly a main focus in regard to Kristalweizens... not so much Hefes.

I'm fermenting a witbier right now using WLP400. I'm thinking I won't crash it because I want it to be yeasty.

Back