Coffee...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdtunstall

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to add coffee? I was thinking about adding a few ounces of really strong coffee to a 3-gallon batch during secondary. Any Ideas or warnings?

I haven't tried it but have considered it, specifically for an espresso mead. But the more important question is adding it to a 3 gallon batch of what?

I used some German Chocolate whole bean coffee in a mead a couple of years ago. I ground the beans and steeped it in cold water. Cold water works better because it doesn't extract bitter oils from the coffee.

Not a very good photo...

IMG_13371.JPG

I love pics, and am always prodding for more pics from people, but on this one I want a review! How did that mead turn out? Are you a coffee drinker, did you like it, what other flavorings was the coffee competing with (other then honey).

I love pics, and am always prodding for more pics from people, but on this one I want a review! How did that mead turn out? Are you a coffee drinker, did you like it, what other flavorings was the coffee competing with (other then honey).

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a new one in the mead section.

Personally I would probably grind some fresh coffee and steep it in the secondary in some sort of bag. The essence of the coffee would hopefully infuse the mead with flavor.

I found this while surfing the web. I have not tried it. Thought about it but not done it. Let me know if anyone tries it.

Coffee Wine

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:

5 Tbs Instant Coffee 7 pints Water
3 Lb. Honey (or Sugar) 3 tsp. Acid Blend
1 Campden Tablet, crushed 3/4 tsp. Yeast Energizer
1 pkg. Sherry Yeast
Directions:

Pour instant Coffee and honey (or sugar) into primary fermenter.
Pour water (hot) into primary fermenter and stir thouroughly.
Add remaining ingredients, except yeast. Stir well.
Cover primary fermenter.
Wait 24 hours, then add yeast and re-cover primary fermenter.
Stir daily and check S.G..
When S.G. reaches 1.040 (usually 3-5 days), strain juice from bag. Then syphon juice into glass container and attach airlock.
When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
To aid in clearing, syphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.
Allow the wine to age.

The wine turned out well but there was only a small hint of the coffee. Next time I'll use more coffee bags and steep for a bit longer. Maybe add it to the secondary instead of the primary.

Back