Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOMDBrewer

Reaction score
I want to make a coffee stout for my next beer. I have some awesome chocolate macadamia kona coffee from Hawaii if like to use but I wondering how and when to best add it. I've seen people do a course ground an add that to either the lat minutes of the boil or in their secondary. I've also see people make a strong brew of coffee and add the liquid coffee to the boil or the secondary. So I'm curious if anyone has had success with either method. What method seems best. Also if adding grounds to the beer what is a good amount so as not to be too over powering; 2 oz, 4 oz, 8 oz? Any advice is appreciated.

The couple of times I added coffee to a stout I was quite pleased with the results. I brewed 2 cups (16 oz) coffee and let it cool in the freezer until it reached about 70 F. I then added it to the bottom of my corny keg, racked the fermented beer on top of it, and then carbonated as usual. If you don't keg I would just add the cooled coffee to your bottling bucket along with the priming sugar solution and bottle. Hope this helps

I've had great results by adding cold pressed coffee to the bottling bucket. Just mix some ground coffee with cool water that you've boiled, Let it sit in the fridge in a sealed container for a few days and pour though a sanitized filter to the bottling mucket. Then siphon the beer to the bucket so that the coffee gets properly mixed with the beer.

I followed the method posted in a Zymurgy magazine last year and made a coffee toddy. I placed 2 oz of coursely ground coffee in clean panty hose and placed it in 1.5 cups of water, then put it in the fridge for 24 hours. The next day I poured the coffee into the secondary and racked on top. This added the perfect amount of coffee flavor.

I added 4oz ground coffee cold brewed in 16oz h20 filtered at kegging, it was perfect for me.

If you're bottling, I would brew up more coffee, and add it a bit at a time into the bottling bucket. Mix it up a little, taste it, add more if needed. If you're kegging just brew and add more if you feel your first addition is not enough.

Latest posts

Back