Coffee Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottWa

Reaction score
In mid-Dec I am looking to make a batch of Coffee Stout and I have a number of questions about the recipe. First off I am wondering what the best way is to get a strong coffee presence? I have read a number of ways in various books and some seem better than other for imparting strong coffee flavor and aroma. Do you have to sanitize the coffee grounds themselves by boiling in water or is this not necessary if the water is pre-boiled? The coffee would be added to the secondary correct?

I don't have my recipe or any specifics laid out yet but I want it to be big and beefy, very chewy. Something like the Coffee Monster from Port/Pizza Port. I would also like notes of chocolate, and maybe vanilla. I will be doing an extract brew with specialty grains if that matters.

This is only my 3rd batch and I am very well aware that I still have a lot to learn. Any insight will be very appreciated.

On my last coffee stout, I soaked 3oz of ground coffee in a (pre-sanitized) cup of (pre-boiled) cold water in the fridge overnight. I then strained the coffee with a filter and added it to 1/2 the batch (2.5 gallons) during bottling. The first half of the batch was bottled without the coffee for comparison.

I pre-boiled the water that the coffee was soaked in and used some star san on the cup otherwise no sanitation of the coffee itself.

The coffee flavor was very strong for the first month after bottling, then began to fade so that after 3 months it is hard to tell the difference between the batches.

On my last coffee stout, I soaked 3oz of ground coffee in a (pre-sanitized) cup of (pre-boiled) cold water in the fridge overnight. I then strained the coffee with a filter and added it to 1/2 the batch (2.5 gallons) during bottling. The first half of the batch was bottled without the coffee for comparison.

I pre-boiled the water that the coffee was soaked in and used some star san on the cup otherwise no sanitation of the coffee itself.

The coffee flavor was very strong for the first month after bottling, then began to fade so that after 3 months it is hard to tell the difference between the batches.

I'm doing this exact same thing for a stout that just finished primary. I'm going to add the coffee to secondary tomorrow and let it sit for at least a week, tasting every couple of days and adding more as needed. If you are shooting towards the middle/end of November I can let you know how this turns out when I can finally crack one open.

P.S. it is an Imperial Stout with an ABV of 8.1%. Also, 9% of the grain bill is chocolate malt, so there is already a roasty flavor that I think will complement the coffee very nicely.

MikeBilly and others:

Please post your results when you have them. I am also looking at doing a coffee stout and very interested how your additions, etc. turn out.

Cheers! .... Ed

I always add coffee grounds at flameout. Have never had any head retention issues, and the coffee flavor has always been great. Last coffee stout was 4 ounces of two different coffees. My milk stout has 3.5 ounces of one type of coffee usually.

Back