Coffee porter bottled after six months......eep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try a sample while bottling? That's the only way to get a true answer. Otherwise did you secondary in a glass carboy, PET carboy or HDPE bucket? Did you keep the airlock filled? Did you purge the secondary of O2?

I've read threads where people kept it in primary or secondary for up to 3-4 months and it turned out fine, but I think 6 might be pushing it. But in the grand scheme of things I'm a brewing nub so the vets might have better insight.

Glass carboy, didn't taste, airlock did stay filled. Well; this may only truly be answere in a few weeks when I drink it. Projected abc of about 6%. Fingers crossed!

Because you used glass and it's a porter you might be alright. But I digress, let's see what the more seasoned brewers think.

Stout/porter does very well with aging. I have one tapped (7.2% ABV) that spent 6 months in secondary. It's delicious. However, I kegged it... With bottles the only concern I'd have is viability of yeast to carbonate your beer after all that time.

If you managed air/oxygen while racking. If you used a secondary. If you used glass and kept sealed tight. Then you will be ok.

But, really, why not taste when bottling??

5 months is not "that long" in big beer life. Some people even keep their big beers (stouts, usually) for up to a year, in (gasp) OAK BARRELS!

No, it will be fine. Possibly with a bit of oxidation if you weren't really careful about purging the air or if you were not gentle when transferring. It's probably fine.

I'll go on record as saying it'll be a Christmas treat. My money is on it working out very well but you'll never again have the patience to reproduce it!

When I add coffee to my Stout's I add Cold Pressed coffee to the bottling bucket and the first time I added it slowly to find out how much I wanted. Came up w/8 oz to 2 gallons. That way no need to even think of a "secondary".

Back