Coffee in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p-townrookie

Reaction score
Long story short I was at a brewery this weekend and they had a coffee infused Belgian white! TASTY! Then I'm thinkin I have a Belgian that's getting ready to rack to secondary!

My questions are, should I use coffee when I rack to secondary, or should I wait and add the coffee when I keg it?

Also I know to cold steep the coffee but what is the best method?

Quantity, I'm planning on putting 1.5 cups of coffee for 5 gallons of brew? Sound about right?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

add coarse ground coffee beans directly into the beer 24 hours before bottling or kegging. This is the best way.

Add the fresh, coarse ground coffee beans to the secondary and let it sit for 4 - 5 days. Once kegged, 1.5 cups will seem overpowering but after a week it will mellow..

With that said, you might want to pull an 8oz sample, steep a 1/2 - 1 tsp of ground coffee and see how it tastes before adding the entire amount to the secondary.

If you want a nice, non-bitter coffee flavor that you can adjust, cold brew (overnight) 4-6oz of course ground dark roast coffee and add the filtered liquid at kegging. Put in 2/3 of it, check the flavor and decide if you want to add more. The other methods can give you varying results.

I tried cold steeped coffee in my secondary with one of my Imperial Stouts. I split the stout and bottled half of it straight and added 1 quart of cold steeped coffee to the other half. It was way too much. My friends like it. They say the coffee flavor really comes out.

Personally I compare it to commercially produced coffee infused stouts. I feel like the stout's mouthfeel was a little watery and I attribute that to the coffee I added. I also feel like the coffee flavor was overwhelming and masked the smooth chocolaty flavors that were inherent with the grains.

If I was going to do it again I would add the course ground coffee and let it cold steep for a few days. But that is just me.

If you have a french press, they work wonderfully to cold brew your coffee overnight. It's what I used for my coffee porter. Makes it easy to just pour/filter into the bottling bucket/keg whenever you're ready.

Back