Coffee Grounds in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I threw some coffee grinds in my primary for a week... 4 oz worth. They never settled to the bottom. I guess I should have filtered it somehow or whatever - I know for next time this is a bad idea. Anyhow... I bottled tonight and a ton of coffee grinds got into my bottles... will the coffee settle to the bottom and stay out of my glass if I pour carefully? Will it affect the taste much? Ugh...

Thanks.

It should settle out. Next time try making a tea slurry and adding at flame out or right before pitching yeast. Coffee might also be better in secondary to where the yeast doesn't wash away wlall the aroma.

Well aroma (our kitchen smells like starbucks) and taste are perfect... this flat warm beer is awesome... except the grinds. I put them in after 2 1/2 weeks of primary so I believe the yeast were asleep. Thanks for the reply... I am praying that the grounds settle out and don't end up in the glass because it really does taste/smell great.

You'll probably be fine, I bet they will compact at the bottom of the bottles with any yeast. Just let them sit in bottles for 2-3 weeks, and throw them in the fridge for a few days before you drink them.

You could try pouring through a tea strainer or similar mesh strainer into a glass to catch any grounds if they're still floating.
I don't think a paper filter or a french press would work quite as well as a strainer since it could agitate the beer more than just through the strainer.

Yeah, a tea strainer might help if it doesn't settle out. I once chipped the rim of a bottle while opening a beer and tried to pour it through a coffee filter, so any glass fragments would remain outside my glass. Bad idea.

I think the tea filter idea would kill the carbonation of the brew. All of those nucleation sites as the beer flowed over it would zap all the CO2 out pretty quickly. I'm in the camp of letting it sit in the fridge for a week or more before popping one open.

Oh definately, a tea strainer would affect the carbonation. What I was thinking was that 1) letting it sit is best but, 2) if there are any grounds floating, they could be taken care of with the strainer.
Additionally, if there are grounds floating, you might be able to get them first, then remove the strainer to get the rest of the beer normally. I haven't tried coffee grounds from a carbonated drink, but I've used a strainer like that when making coffee before.

Back