Coffee Flavor and Barrel Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
So I just brewed a KBS clone (kinda) and was planning on barrel aging it in a 3 gallon barrel my buddy just got me. I pulled a little sample the other night and I may have gone a little heavy on the coffee, cuz its definitely a coffee stout. Now heres the question... If I go ahead and barrel age it as planned, will a strong coffee flavor penetrate the wood enough that future beers I barrel age pick up that flavor? I really only plan on barrel aging stouts/porters so Im not opposed to getting coffee flavor, but in the event that I dont want that coffee, am I shooting myself in the foot? I can always rebrew with less coffee, but I did actually like the flavor. Im just "worried" about future brews. Thanks for any advice!!

I don't see a problem having an intermediate brew to rid the barrel of the coffee flavor.
Then back to anoher recipe.
If the intermediate brew is too short on coffee flavor, you may complete with a vodka infusión.
HTH

Back