Coconut porter recipe????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Had a decent coco but porter the other day and decided to try making a batch. Only problem is i have found atleast 4 different versions.
Some use cascade hops others stick to more British hops.
I also though of using coca nibs in secondary.

So far tho has been the best recipe I found:
LAB coconut porter
For 5 gallons (19 L)
10.8 lb (4.9 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
0.55 lb (250 g) Crystal malt
0.48 lb (218 g) Chocolate malt
0.48 lb (218 g) Carafa I
13.4 oz (380 g) Toasted coconut flakes (secondary)
3.8 oz (110 g) Black patent malt
0.5 oz (14 g) Chinook hops, 13.1% a.a. (60 min)
0.7 oz (20 g) Willamette hops, 6.3% a.a. (40 min)
0.5 oz (14 g) Willamette hops, 6.3% a.a. (20 min)
Safale US-05, rehydrated

Does any one have a recipe they stand by????

Or thoughts on the above?

I'm not a fan of the roasty/burnt flavors that the black patent add.

My base recipe that I use for my coconut, coffee, and vanilla porters is 74% Pale Malt (although MO would actually be better), 11% Crystal 60, 7.5% Chocolate Malt, and 7.5% Munich 10. I go lighter on the hops and just add 1 oz of Fuggles at 60 for 27 IBUs. I also like Nottingham instead of US05, but have used both.

I love Maui Brewing's coconut porter, I am very interested in your recipe.

I'm not a fan of the roasty/burnt flavors that the black patent add.

My base recipe that I use for my coconut, coffee, and vanilla porters is 74% Pale Malt (although MO would actually be better), 11% Crystal 60, 7.5% Chocolate Malt, and 7.5% Munich 10. I go lighter on the hops and just add 1 oz of Fuggles at 60 for 27 IBUs. I also like Nottingham instead of US05, but have used both.

I like the idea of swapping chinook for giggles.
Would you still keep the other hop additions?

I love Maui Brewing's coconut porter, I am very interested in your recipe.

I can not take credit for the recipe. I found it on the home brewers assoc recipe page

Had a decent coco but porter the other day and decided to try making a batch. Only problem is i have found atleast 4 different versions.
Some use cascade hops others stick to more British hops.
I also though of using coca nibs in secondary.

Does any one have a recipe they stand by????

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=141088
I did this with 2 lbs of coconut soaked in coconut vodak in the secondary. I was aiming for a death by cocnut from oskar blues. It was pretty bad ass.
Hi. Like @woo_pig , I too was aiming for Oskar Blues' Death by Coconut. Here is a link to my recipe on Brewer's Friend. I have it on keg now, and like Woo_pig's, mine also came out awesome. Ed
:mug:

ETA: Here's a link were we discussed the Death by Coconut clone.

D@mn! Just kicked the keg! This is the very last glass of this wonderful beer. Ed
:mug:

Coconut Chocolate Stout1.jpg

A pound of coconut at flameout and a pound of coconut in the secondary is the way to go.

/\ this is what I do in an IPA. I'm almost finished with a Boulder Shake clone. Is it smooth and good. I'm about ready to brew it again. 10 gallons this time. 1 carboy with coffee and 1 with coffee and coconut.

It's also good to add some kind of weight to the sack in the secondary so it stays down into the beer to infuse it with the coconut.

Latest posts

Back