Coconut - lime pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So we decided to brew this yesterday. For the hops I used Cashmere and Sabro. The aroma was amazing. I used lime zest at the end of the boil as well. The coconut aroma was really good . I was surprised it was so noticeable. Hoping it tastes as good as it smells. Coconut - lime goodness.

Ok well I'm back to report . The coconut aroma in the kettle didnt amount to any coconut notes in the final beer . I had some coconut extract and added a tiny drop in a sampler glass along with the beer . Nope , doesnt work . It just doesnt go good together .

Now I'm not giving up. My new process for this quest will be making a milkshake pale ale . I got the idea from my wife's idea . She mixed limeade with liquid coconut creamer. Was really good . Apparently its similar to a drink my daughter made at Starbucks. So yes coconut lime does mesh but not in this pale ale .

I think it need to have way more body and needs to have a nice creaminess to it . So back to the drawing board.

That sounds like a good combination. Anecdotally, I've gotten more coconut flavor out of sabro when it's used in the dry hop than using it on the hot side. Also, using some vanilla with coconut helps the flavor come across in the finished beer. Hope your next iteration turns out well.

Interesting...I currently have a Lime Cream ale on tap, may have to try it with coconut next time. Brewing a coffee & coconut blonde ale in a week or two.

To get actual legit and flavorful coconut into a beer I recommend toasting it and adding it to secondary - it will bring out the oils and make it taste less metallic (as raw coconut can do).

Why does coconut taste metallic? I just made my first coconut beer and the foam tastes metallic. Once the foam subsides it tastes normal. Weird. I wonder if it has to do with oxidized fats in the coconut.

I brewed a coconut wheat beer with lime zest that came out good.
I also brewed a coconut cider that came out good.

Back