Coconut chocolate cane sugar porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanM47

Reaction score
Coconut porter:

3-gallon

Ingredients:

3lbs American 2row
2lbs caramel 80L
1lbs chocolate
4lbs amber LME

2cup cane sugar

1oz chinook at 50 mins
1oz fuggle at 20 mins
1oz fuggle at 5 mins

8oz of flaked coconut in secondary
8 cups coffee at flameout
4oz cocoa at flameout

It's an experiment that I've come up with. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Waaaay too much crystal malt. For 3 gallons, I wouldnt do more than 3/4 pound each of crystal and chocolate.

Consider adding oats to the mash. Oats make a great, rich porter.

Ok! What modification would you make to each malt? How much flaked oats?

Coconut porter:

3-gallon

Ingredients:

2lbs American 2row
.75lbs caramel 80L
.75lbs chocolate
1lbs flaked oats
3lbs amber LME

2cup cane sugar

1oz chinook at 50 mins
1oz fuggle at 20 mins
1oz fuggle at 5 mins

8oz of flaked toasted coconut in secondary
4oz cocoa at flameout

1 smack pack Wyeast 1028

Here's an updated version of this recipe. Any more suggestions?

8 cups of coffee is way too much, thats nearly 20% of your volume

also, what are you trying to gain in using cane sugar? it's just going to dry out the beer, not something you'd typically want in a porter. id use brown or dark candi syrup instead if you want to use sugar, but 1lb in 3gals is alot for a porter.

I recently made a strictly coffee porter and I used 8 cups for 3 gals and it worked out just fine. I'm not brewing the coffee too strong.
Cane sugar dries out the beer? Didnt know that. Thanks!

sugar dries out beer as its 100% fermentable (or very close to), same goes for honey. cane sugar offers very little flavor, maybe slightly cidery

So I basically just wanted to accent the coconut and chocolate with some sweetness. Nothing overwhelming like a Belgian candi, but a small note of sweetness. What do you suggest?

Decided to use lactose for sweetness. I brewed this a few days ago. It's still in primary. It tasted very good raw. I'll keep y'all updated on its progression.

Velvet Elvis porter:

3-gallon

Ingredients:

2lbs American 2row
.75lbs caramel 75L
.75lbs chocolate
1lbs flaked oats
3lbs amber LME

2oz fuggle at 50 mins
1oz chinook at 30 mins
1oz chinook at 5 mins

4oz cocoa at flameout

1 smack pack Wyeast 1028

8oz of toasted flaked coconut secondary
1oz of lactose secondary

O.S.P. -1.060

Just tasted it before bottling today! AND OMG! It's amazing. I'm very happy with the results. Feel free to use this recipe. I call it "The Velvet Elvis"

Here's the fully updated recipe:

Velvet Elvis
3 gal batch

Ingredients:
2lbs American 2 row
.75lbs Caramel 80L
.75lbs Chocolate malt
1lbs Flaked oats
3lbs Amber LME

2oz fuggle at 50mins before flameout
1oz Chinook at 30mins before flameout
1oz Chinook at 5mins before flameout

8cups medium roast coffee at flameout
5oz cocoa at flameout
1 Wyeast 1028 smack pack

2oz lactose in secondary
8oz toasted flaked coconut in secondary
2 tsp chocolate secondary
1/3 cup priming sugar

O.G. – 1.060
Secondary – 1.018
Final – 1.018 5.5% ABV

that is one hell of a complex recipe. it's usually best when designing recipes (particularly if you are new to homebrewing, which you may be according to your registration date) to follow proven style guidelines while making small modifications.

i have not done extract or partial mash in a long time, but one piece of advice i have seen many times is to avoid using amber LME, which is a mix of 2row and light caramel malt. instead, use basic DME and adjust how much crystal malt you mash to control your grain bill.

i would also consider using coconut sugar. i have not used it or tasted it, but i would be curious if it could provide some discernible coconut flavor.

with all that said, homebrewing is about doing what you enjoy. if brewing more mainstream recipes does not appeal to you, then keep doing what you are doing! you will probably experience a few batches that you simply cannot stand, but you will be having fun doing so.

Absolutely! Thanks for the advice. Like I said, this recipe turned out great!
But like you said, I've experienced a few recipes that I had to just pour down the sink! Haha
If you don't screw up every once in a while, you're not having fun!

Ps, It turned out incredibly!!!
After letting it condition in bottles for 3 weeks, the flavor was so smooth and complex! I loved it!

Back