Cocoa nibs drop time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paanderson86

Reaction score
Was curious if I HAVE to do secondary for a cocoa nibs addition? I'm doing an extract kit that says to add them two weeks in secondary before bottling. Can I just want until fermentation is complete in primary then drop them in?

Generally speaking, you don't really ever need to do a secondary. But you'll find people on both sides of the conversation. I prefer to transfer to a smaller vessel for extra ageing, usually only for infusing my cocoa nibs. This is only to decrease O2 volume though. I do ten gallon batches is 13 gal fermenter so it benefits me to transfer to 5 gal carboys in this situation. I'd say it's dependant on your specific situation regarding fermentation volume vs fermenter volume. But that's my .02.

Soaking them in Vodka helps too! Brings out the flavor more I think..;)

Exactly!

Break em up a bit, put them in a mason jar and add vodka so they're just covered. Soak them like that for 2 weeks, give them a little swirl from time to time while your batch is fermenting. Then add the whole lot to your fermentor and let them be for another week or 2. Then package.

Is this true for any chocolate in the scondary? Just drop them in or soak in Vodka? I have a 1b bag of 100% i want to add tosecondary

Back