Cockiness = dissapointment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
So I went in to my fermenter build with the cockiness of inexperience, thinking, "HA! My mini-fridge is plenty big enough to be used with nary a thing but a temperature controller for this to work!"

I am converting a Sanyo SR4433s 4.4cu-ft fridge.

Then I started taking shelves out and...nope, 6 gallon carboy with airlock won't fit under the freezer try. DARN! A squat 3 gallon will, and my 5 gallon MIGHT, maybe. So on to a proper build (I promise pictures soon).

Pulled the drip tray, warmed it up (THICK ice, opps, I guess I should have been defrosting every month), bent the freezer pan down and out of the way (hanging at about 10 degrees from vertical), stuck my 6 gallon carboy in to try it out and...fuggle! The door bits hit it. Barely, but still hit it.

So, off the door panel comes for surgery. Because I can, I cut some 3/4" XPS foamboard to sit the carboy on as well as the same to cover the door inside of the gasket. I also filled the area behind the compressor with spray foam to insulate things a bit more too. Sadly the hotside radiates through the walls of the fridge (stupid design), so I can't upgrade that. I was figuring to insulate it with a bit of foamboard between the fridge and it and then install a nice 120mm fan or so blowing across the radiator. No such luck, oh well.

Finally I installed an 80mm fan on the roof of the fridge to get some air circulation around the fridge to reduce icing on the freezer pan as well as cool things down inside a little faster.

Just waiting on my STC1000 and parts so I can build the temperature controller and then the 5 gallons of Dopplebock I've had sitting around the last week can get a proper lagering.

I haven't tested yet, but it almost looks like there might be enough room for a 6 gallon carboy and a 3 gallon carboy in there at once, or if not, possibly a 5 and a 3. Deffinitely enough room for a couple of 3 gallon carboys.

Sadly the whole thing just makes me dream for an "ideal" setup, which since I don't think I am going to go conicals ANY year soon, is probably a couple of 4-5cu-ft mini fridges of the same model, with rear mounted radiators, built in to a side-by-side cabinet arrangement. Then build a shroud across the back with a couple of dual 120/140mm fans to push/pull air across the radiators. Build in a small window on each one so I can see what is going on and extra insulation top/bottom/sides. Seperate temperature controller for each fridge.

That way I can be lagering and fermenting at the same time or else two seperate, different temperature fermentations. Unfortunately due to space issues, I'll probably never have room for more than ~2 mini fridges worth of space. Fortunately my basement is generally cool enough year round that ales really don't need temperature control unless I am trying to do something fiddly (like sour mash or high temp saison).

I also need to expand my build so that I can go hot with my fridge (sour mash/Saison), but that can wait awhile.

If you can fit the 6.5 gallon carboy in there without the airlock, do it. Just put some foil over the top. Active fermentation will push the gas out and keep positive pressure inside.

If it's just a tray can you bend it up and out of the way to make it fit? It sounds like you're well on your way but could that have been a possibility?

Did you bend just the freezer tray...pretty sure the coolant coils are right above the tray in most Sanyo designs. Could be wrong. Mine is (different model) and I am currently try to figure out how to move the coolant lines 2 or so inches for room for my keg.

In mine the coolant lines pass through the freezer tray. I just carefully bent it in on itself and down and then bent it back out (but still down). It didn't look like I could remove the thermostat on the inside of the fridge without ripping it off the wall of the fridge, so I had to bend the freezer tray in on itself maybe 1/4th of a bend so it would clear it.

Scared the heck out of me, but it went just fine. With this fridge I'll probably never do it, but I bet you could gain a fair amount of efficiency by drilling the freezer tray (NOT through the coolant lines) and then installing a fan to blow through the freezer tray.

Currently I just have a roof mounted 80mm/25cfm fan stirring up the air in there. Seems to keep icing on the freezer tray down and also seems to get things cooling off a little faster, so that probably increases efficiency some. I want to install the other 80mm fan blowing across the compressor to keep that a bit cooler. Might increase heat extraction a few watts. Sadly no exposed radiator for me to have the fan blowing over.

Some future point I'd love to find a mini fridge or freezer that has the exposed radiator on the back and carve it up for the cooling components and then build an entire fermentation chamber from scratch. Shroud for the radiator with a fan to blow across it, etc.

As it stands I can fit a couple of 3 gallon carboys in there, but I am limited to only one 5/6 gallon carboy. I'll have to check, but it MIGHT be possible that I can fit 3x3 gallon carboys in there. Oh well, it works and it'll do what I want. It isn't often that I have more than 1 carboy filled and fermenting/aging. Though lagering increases the odds that I'll have 2 carboys going at once.

Occasionally I do have 3 carboys and a bucket going, but that is all of once or twice a year so far. I don't mind no temp control for ales, generally, as my basement stays in a pretty good ale fermentation range (63F on the slab in the winter and 72F on the slab in summer). I'll probably use the fermentation chamber for ales when it isn't needed for lagers, but I won't sweat it if some lager is fermenting or lagering away in it.

It feels a bit more limiting that if I want to do two lagers at once, I basically have to brew them within a few days of each other, otherwise I can't have them both fermenting or lagering in there.

Back to "fortunately" I am much more of an ale fan than a lager fan.

That and I may take a crack at converting that 3.6cu-ft mini fridge. With a little cutting on the inside, it might just take a 6 gallon carboy and it should take a couple of 3 gallon carboys with a little modification.

Mine went well. I'll post an image later. Bent it just enough the used some pliers to bend the curled metal edges. Mangled the plastic holding ridge on the side but its up and over. Mine is hardly bent but angled all the way to the ceiling. Plenty of room and working fine. Getting a hissing-like sound though. Nothing is leaking that I can see

Mine went well. I'll post an image later. Bent it just enough the used some pliers to bend the curled metal edges. Mangled the plastic holding ridge on the side but its up and over. Mine is hardly bent but angled all the way to the ceiling. Plenty of room and working fine. Getting a hissing-like sound though. Nothing is leaking that I can see

Mine does a fair amount of hissing too. Not sure if it is because of the new positioning, or if it is because there is no door and drop tray so it is easier to hear it now. Been going strong for a week now.

Yeah with some measuring, if I cut a 2-3" shelf to go in were the original did on the bottom (original is maybe 5" wide), I can put the short stout 3 gallon carboy on the shelf (back shelf where the compressor goes is around 5" deep, not enough for a carboy, hence the extra 2-3") and the taller better bottle 3 gallon carboy on the floor of the fridge. I am 99% sure it'll work.

The other mini fridge will never fit that. I THINK it'll fit a 5/6 gallon carboy if I remove the door panel and do a bit of other surgery. I may need to cut in to the back shelf to make it fit. Going to be tight, but I'll probably convert the fridge as it would sometimes be nice to temp control an ale while I am doing a lager in the other fridge. I can't think I'll really want to do more than 2 carboys at once and temp control, or on rare instances, a pair of 3 gallon and the 5/6 gallon.

I'd really love a multi-chamber or side-by-side fermentation setup where I could fit two 6 gallon carboys or 7 gallon conicals in each one (because, maybe some day) each chamber at a separate temperature. Some day.

Back