Coasters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shown or discussed before. I'm working on a Christmas Gift for the family that will be a Beer Glass, Coaster, and 750ml bottle of Home Brewed Tripel.

I figured I would post how I made the coasters as they are pretty easy. This could be used for your brewery logo, favorite craft brew label or anything else.

You can find the tiles at Home Depot for $4ish bucks and the felt dots for a few bucks, I got the mod podge, spray glue and sealer at Hobby Lobby. Can't remember how much all of that cost as I already had that. The tiles come in packs of 9.

I used resume paper to print on with my ink jet printer. I then sealed both sides of the print with the spray sealer. After drying I used the spray glue to spray the tile and back of the label and adhered them. This has seemed to work the best for me to prevent bubbles and peeling. Once that has dried I apply 2 to 3 coats of mod podge over the entire tile surface. I then give it a final coat of the sealer. Add the felt dots for feet and your are done.

It will not be a true thirsty stone because of the mod podge and sealer. For this reason they will function like cardboard or other type coasters and can sometimes stick to the glass.

There may be easier or more effective ways but this seems to work best for me.

I used the iphone Mobile Monet app to create the effect with the picture i took.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

http://www.tilano.net/transfer-kits/marble-coaster-kit

The above kit is actually what got me started. One of our kids got this kit as a present a long time ago. The kit came with enough paper to make 12 coasters but only came with 4 tiles. With the kit you have to use a laser printer. The paper is special similar to an iron on transfer that you print a reverse image and peel off the back paper. While at Staples getting the laser printer copies the worker said she does this all the time with plain paper and tile from home depot. I have to say my low cost, low tech method compares pretty well with the kit. Also they make inkjet vellum that you could use to allow more color of the stone through. I did do some experimenting with the vellum and had it bubble on me. I did not try the vellum with the spray adhesive thought.

The beer logo coaster is from the kit. The other is using the technique described above.

I looked at the website above and they actually just sell the special paper too.

2coaster.jpg

Back