CO2 - trade or fill....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnmotorcycles

Reaction score
....that's always been my dilemma. And my only real option has been to trade the tank in for another. When I got the kegerator (new) I couldn't stand the idea of trading that nice shiny tank for a painted up tank, but I did. Then I lucked into another shiny tank (full) and have been using it since.

So I send the fiance (I don't have to call her the SWMBO yet) to the local welding shop to swap the one painted up tank that I had, and she comes home with this (and she paid the $12)....:ban:

CO2.jpg

That's a purty tank.

I'd do the swap if it cost $12 bucks. My LHBS charges $18, but I can get it filled at the fire extinguisher shop for $13.

Last Friday the CO2 filler wasn't in the fire shop, so I thought I'd try calling the local paintball park. They wanted $25 to fill a 5# tank. Needless to say, I'm still without CO2 until I can make another trip to the normal place.

For a nice shiny tank like that I'd just have it filled. When you swap you might get a rusty piece of crap that'll stain your keggerator (assuming it's kept inside the fridge....). If it's kept behind your set up or you don't care if it stains...who cares....go with the el-cheapo route.

I am about to put my keezer together and had this question as well. When you swap, on the original trip do you purchase a bottle or how does that work?

Going with a ready to use kegerator, mine came with the tank.

It's my understanding that you can buy a tank or pay some type of deposit if you don't have a tank to turn in. That being the case, I'd definitely consider a 20# tank. I was looking at upgrading to the larger tank myself when I came across a second 5# tank free (and full).

Filling is fine until the certification date is up on the bottle. Best to exchange it before then or you will have to pay to have it sent off to be hydrotested and re-certified. I think it cost me $25 to have a tank re-certified. Not that big of a deal, but the wait to get it done sucks if you need co2 right now.

Back