CO2 tank regulator vs paintball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Does the same size regulator that fits on a 5# CO2 tank fit on a paintball tank? Thinking about making a portable kegerator and it'd be nice not to have to buy another regulator.

yep, you need an adapter. I love this gadget for a portable setup.
1012.jpg

Yeah, those guys are pretty nice for events where you know you'll kill the keg - I'm just thinking about how I can take kegs to a family vacation. I think building a portable kegerator out of those rolling coolers is the way to go because I can continually add a bit of ice throughout the week.

yep, you need an adapter. I love this gadget for a portable setup.
1012.jpg

I have one of those and they work great. Also have their bike tire filler that's pretty much the same thing with a different fitting on the output side. Had a problem with one once and the company replaced it with free shipping after a quick email to them, great customer service!

Here is my valve. As you can see it replaces the pin valve. It cost the same as the adapter.

newvalve.jpg

Be very careful not to over pressurize the keg if just using a simple shutoff valve without a regulator. A paintball tank like this has more than enough CO2 to rupture a corney, especially if the corney is nearly full of liquid (i.e. beer). That paintball tank may be able to deliver CO2 gas or worse liquid if not kept strictly upright at a rate that's faster than the corney pressure relief can vent it. Quickly over pressurizing a corney is huge hazard to anyone or anything in the vacinity, like within 50 feet.

A regulator safely reduces the pressure that can be delivered to the keg in addition to delivering a an effective serving pressure and flow. So it's a safety device in addition to a gas dispensing convenience.

I know some may say that the keg chargers don't have a regulator either, but the truth there is that the small CO2 cylinders used in them just don't have enough CO2 liquid in them to evolve enough gas to seriously damage a corney keg because of the larger volume in the keg for the gas to expand into. I suppose quickly discharing a full keg charger cylinder into a corney keg already completely full of liquid (i.e. beer) could be problematic, but I haven't heard of any failures like this.

A keg charger can, however, rupture a gas in QD that's not hooked up to a corney keg (i.e. the poppet valve in it is closed) because there's so little volume inside the QD. As such the plastics the QDs are made out of just can't safely take the full pressure of the liquid CO2 in the little cylinder.

It just connects to a regular regulator with a appropriate release valve (like the one on the keg.) I've never had enough pressure in a keg to engage the release valve. I suspect it's closer to the 150 PSI the keg is rated for. The one on the regulator goes off at 40 PSI. Blowing up a keg should not be possible. The hose would blow first anyway.

valvereg.jpg

The guy at the paintball shop said people don't use these much for paintball anymore because they can get broke off. He said most of the people that buy them have another use for them.

The guy at the paintball shop said people don't use these much for paintball anymore because they can get broke off. He said most of the people that buy them have another use for them.

Conroe,
I would like to know where you got this valve? I am getting rid of an extra 20lb tank and thinking a PB tank would be bit more portable. A valve that takes a normal CO2 reg seems like a good idea.

Back