Co2 Tank: Inside or outside of kegerator???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum55

Reaction score
So, As of now, I have my 5 lb. Co2 tank and dual regulator inside my kegerator which holds two Corny kegs. Just wondering what are the suggestions, pro's and con's, or evidenced based rational of whether the tank should be inside or outside the kegerator. Reason I ask this is, the pressure gauge seems to always be near the red even with a full tank when inside the kegerator. Thanks and cheers

I have four (five including "nitro") gas systems spanning a keezer and three fridges and in all cases the servicing cylinder/regulators are external.
Primary reasons: I can read and adjust as needed without opening doors allowing cold air out/humid air in; and interior cabinet space conservation.
Secondary reason: no worries about condensation growing verdigris or warping gauge faces...

Cheers!

I've kept my CO2 cylinder inside my kegerator for years without any issue. I made my own kegerator though, so the reasoning for doing it was to avoid drilling additional holes. You do have to take into account that the lower temperature makes the cylinder appear more empty than it actually is.

depends.....on your system and what you want...

My main kegerator is an antique 1947 fridge. I don't want any extra holes in the body (only taps) and I have no place to hide an external tank as it sits in my living room as a piece of "man art". It will hold 4 kegs but only really had room for 3 taps in the door (aesthetic reasons). Plus I have individual secondary regulators for each keg so that would mean 3 or 4 CO2 hose holes needed.

Another keezer I'm building will have dual external tanks ( CO2 and nitro). But I can hide those tanks.

If you have a place to put your tank outside that you are happy with then go for it.

But all those pre-fabbed kegerators that are sold everywhere have the tank inside.

Back