Co2 tank in/out of fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerrySwirls

Reaction score
What does everyone prefer the co2 tank inside the fridge or outside? The reason I’m asking just bought a new fridge and planning on making my old one into a kegerator. Not sure how to go about it. Less then a week to keg my beer. Thanks

fwiw, I've always had my gas cylinders outside my brewery fridges and keezer so they didn't take up valuable space, be able to check the pressures without opening doors, and not be concerned about gauge faces warping from moisture or brass bits growing verdigris. I use 1/4" mfl-mfl bulkheads to get gas through cabinet walls...

Cheers!

You will get more from your co2 cans with it outside the fridge as well. Cold air contracts and gives less pressure. Ill also give a +1 to not taking valuable space in the kegerator. I went really basic and just drilled a hole and pulled the co2 line through. A little caulke and its good to go

I think the biggest thing to think about is the aesthetics and location. If you have it in the basement or garage, put the CO2 outside the fridge so you can add another keg inside.

If you need it to look really clean, and won't be able to hide the CO2 tank easily, then leave it inside the fridge.

Like Day_trippr, I've always kept mine outside because the aesthetic wasn't important for me, and I prefer to be able to serve one more keg. This is even true with the walk-in cooler, but also because I use 50# tanks, so they are exceptionally heavy to move in around, so I keep them outside.

fwiw, I've always had my gas cylinders outside my brewery fridges and keezer so they didn't take up valuable space, be able to check the pressures without opening doors, and not be concerned about gauge faces warping from moisture or brass bits growing verdigris. I use 1/4" mfl-mfl bulkheads to get gas through cabinet walls...

Cheers!
I’m liking that bulkhead idea day_trippr:yes: Now is that like a compression fitting? I’ll drill the hole screw the bulkhead in the fridge then stick the tubing thru then tighten its self onto the gas line?

There are different options depending on what you want to do and the thickness of your fridge where you want to poke through.

I have a 1/4" MFL bulkhead that I use. If I had a thinner wall to go through, I would've used a John Guest bulkhead though.

I've also seen some use copper tubing with clamps on each end, as well as stainless threaded tubing to barbs or other fittings.

If you want to get fancy, you can even do the 1/4" MFL to ball lock fitting, and use a ball lock QD from your tank outside to make it easier to disconnect if you wanted to move it or use it for something else.

I went with fancy on my keezer :D

keezer_gas_mod_05.jpg

Close 1/4" mfl ss bulkheads with ss post adapters and Firestone gas posts, all sourced from chicompany.net.
I used their 4" ss bulkheads on my three brewery fridges as well...

Cheers!

Like most of you, I have the tank outside, sitting next to the kegerator. Gas line to a six regulators, then bulkheads through the collar. I suppose I could run a long gas line and hide it but no one has yet refused a beer because my "gas tank was showing."...… :D:D:D

that looks nice! do you have flow meters and solenoids on your lines?

Yes, I have a six pack of Swissflow sf800 meters, five temperature probes and power to the tower cooler and "stirring" fan on the other end of that umbilical in the earlier pic.
No solenoids - the boys are all married off and have their own homes so no reason to lock down the taps :D

brewpints_46.jpg

Cheers!

I’m liking that bulkhead idea day_trippr:yes: Now is that like a compression fitting? I’ll drill the hole screw the bulkhead in the fridge then stick the tubing thru then tighten its self onto the gas line?

The bulkheads accept the standard 1/4" flared barbs and swivel nuts, same as one uses to connect mfl keg connectors to beer lines. I used the short "panel" versions on my keezer lid and the 4" versions through the back walls of my three brewery fridges...

Cheers!

Yes, I have a six pack of Swissflow sf800 meters, five temperature probes and power to the tower cooler and "stirring" fan on the other end of that umbilical in the earlier pic.
No solenoids - the boys are all married off and have their own homes so no reason to lock down the taps :D

View attachment 596541

Cheers!
nice! I always find it fascinating the different areas that we can delve into with brewing.

I would like to move my CO2 out of my kegerator. I have a Haier kegerator. If I drill through the side will I encounter any cooling tubes etc. Is everything in the rear of the kegerator? I worry about drilling through something that will damage the kegerator. I'm fairly new to the hobby.

You will get more from your co2 cans with it outside the fridge as well. Cold air contracts and gives less pressure. Ill also give a +1 to not taking valuable space in the kegerator. I went really basic and just drilled a hole and pulled the co2 line through. A little caulke and its good to go

Same here, only I slid stainless steel washers over the gas line and stuck them to the fridge wall with silicone calk.

I went with fancy on my keezer :D

View attachment 596536

Close 1/4" mfl ss bulkheads with ss post adapters and Firestone gas posts, all sourced from chicompany.net.
I used their 4" ss bulkheads on my three brewery fridges as well...

Cheers!

LOL, is that a DB-25, RS-232 plug going to a kegerator? awesome!

i bet all the kiddo's use USB these days!

or bluetooth?

i keep my tank outside, on a analog bath scale to catch leaks, and just cut a gap in the gasket for the line to go into the fridge....

Last edited:
That cable carries six flow meter power/gnd/data connections as well as connections to a half dozen One-Wire temperature sensors and power to all of the internal fans.
There's all kinds of Bluetooth otherwise - the controller under the keezer manages three fridges remotely via Bluetooth...

Cheers!

That cable carries six flow meter power/gnd/data connections as well as connections to a half dozen One-Wire temperature sensors and power to all of the internal fans.
There's all kinds of Bluetooth otherwise - the controller under the keezer manages three fridges remotely via Bluetooth...

Cheers!

awesome, just awesome. amazing to see how much people love beer.

makes me feel like i must just like urinating....lol

Last edited:
Gas outside. I have a MFL shank trough the wall with ball lock on the outside and a barb on the inside that goes to a manifold. This way I can easily disconnect the gas if I need it for cleaning kegs or purging out oxygen from a keg or fermenter.

The tank is almost always connected and normally closed in case the are any leaks. That saved me from refilling it when it had a leak a while ago. I just keep an eye on the tank manometer to see if I have to open the gas for a while.

Outside. I cheaped out on the tank and got a steel one instead of aluminum. Steel would rust from condensation if placed inside.

Back