CO2 tank empty through normal use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I've never emptied a tank in the years I've had a kegging system, I've had a leak twice and lost all my CO2 that way.

I know I had a leak as it went empty within a day of messing with the system (new keg, etc).

This time I came home from a week long vacation and found my Co2 tank empty. I had not changed kegs in several weeks but not sure if it's from a very small leak or did my system finally get all used up?

When a CO2 bottle empties naturally, does it go to 0 psi like a light switch or does it become apparent by slowly pouring from the tap? This tap was working just fine about 10 days ago, like a light switch nothing pours and sure enough my PSI is 0.

:mug:

I've emptied tanks but never had them just pour nothing because there is still some residual carbonation pressure in the kegs themselves... I would suspect that you have a leak. Besides, if you haven't been using your system, the pressure in the kegs should have equalized with the tank and stayed put. Therefore, since CO2 must have been pushing into the kegs, you probably do have a leak... and likely it is located in the keg or gas line to the keg (assuming you have check valves).

it's all about equilibrium.

You may or may not have a tiny leak, but the way it works, CO2 keeps pressure on the headspace and that pressure keeps the volumes of dissolved CO2 in place. Every time you pour yourself a beer, it has to re-balance. If you ran out before you were aware (say the last 10 beers you pulled) you might not notice. But the system re-balances, so with nothing left in the tank to "feed" the headspace, some CO2 came out of suspension. In fact, plenty probably came out, trying to find that equilibrium.

Given the week vacation, the whole system reached equilibrium, the pressure is like 1 or 2lbs, not 10 or 12. And when you go for that next pour, nada. By the way ---- your beer is flat, too!

Get a refill, hook it up, leave it for a week or two. It'll be fine.

oh, and check for leaks - soapy water on the connections.

My lines weren't balanced very well so I'd get a bit too much foam. The last dozen or so pours it was pouring pretty good so that's an indication of what you outlined.

I had to take out the 2 kegs and defrost as the regulator was locked into place with ice. At least I have my secondary fridge with 3 taps so I'm not dry!

Thanks for the help :mug:

Back