CO2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Blackburn

Reaction score
I have a single keg and a single gas bottle setup to go with that. I was told by someone that the pressure reading on the CO2 bottle does not represent the amount of gas left in the gas bottle. The comment was to the effect that the CO2 is sitting in the bottle in equilibrium between a solid state and the gas above it. The pressure stays fairly constant as you use the gas and then boom, it is suddenly all gone? He recommended I have a second full gas bottle on hand for that day. I am used to scuba tanks etc where it is a linear relationship between pressure and volume. What is the situation? Cheers. Rob

That someone is correct. The only way to know when you're close to running out is by weight. The tare is usually on the CO2 cylinder...

This chart may prove illuminating wrt the pressure plummet when a cylinder is nearly empty of liquefied CO2...

1600552247356.png

Cheers!

Back