co2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
I'll admit, I know very little about gasses and in particular, co2, so this may be a pretty dumb question, but here it goes:

before I keg for the first time I was planning on testing for leaks by filling the empty keg with co2 and then seeing if there are leaks anywhere. Considering my corny keg is bigger than my 5# co2 tank, how come I wouldn't empty the co2 tank when I test it for leaks? Is the co2 condensed in some manner within the tank or am I completely missing something? Or maybe I don't fill the whole corny with co2 but then how would it test for leaks?

Your co2 tank is filled at high pressure. The cool thing about a gas is that it can be compressed. You will be filling your keg at a much lower pressure. It won't empty your tank.

If you have a regular air compressor you can fill your corny from that to check for leaks. That's what I did when I got used cornys. This way I didn't waste any co2

If you do use an air compressor, don't overdo it. Home/garage air compressors can go up to 175 PSI (rarely but it's possible), which could potentially make a missile out of a Corny. Up to 30 PSI is safe.

But I'd probably use a LOWER pressure than that, because you do NOT want to seat o-rings and such when you're trying to find problems.

M_C

Back