CO2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drpookie

Reaction score
Hi guys, working on my first batch of homebrew. Def addicted to this!
My first batch, an apple graff is on day 9 in the primary and I just checked a sample, SG has gone from 1.064 to 1.014, and still getting a bubble every 2 mins so its slowing way down. Wanting to cold crash at just the right time.
My question is, do I need to worry about the oxygen I let in when I opened the carboy and gently titlted it to pour my sample? I am scared that by losing the C02 cushion and letting O2 in I have ruined my first batch!

Hi guys, working on my first batch of homebrew. Def addicted to this!
My first batch, an apple graff is on day 9 in the primary and I just checked a sample, SG has gone from 1.064 to 1.014, and still getting a bubble every 2 mins so its slowing way down. Wanting to cold crash at just the right time.
My question is, do I need to worry about the oxygen I let in when I opened the carboy and gently titlted it to pour my sample? I am scared that by losing the C02 cushion and letting O2 in I have ruined my first batch!

Grab a turkey baster from the supermarket to grab your sample so you don't have to tip and disturb the trub. The co2 is heavier than air and will stay there provided you don't keep it open too long. Relax and enjoy!

Back