CO2 psi set too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I know it is not homebrew but I figured I would ask here. I recently purchased a 2 tap kegerator and got a sixtel of SN Ruthless Rye and Wolavers Oatmeal Stout.

I currently have it set to 3 psi (at the advice of a bar owner.) Its that too low?

The Sierra Nevada is pouring fine and the Wolavers is still a rocket.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Joe:mug:

http://www.classhomebrewers.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Force-Carbonation-Chart.gif

stouts normally have around 1.7 - 2.3 volumes of carbonation, so check the temperature you are storing the kegs at, then look at that chart to determine how much pressure you need. your beer will slowly go flat with only 3psi, unless you are chilling it down to around 30-32 degrees.

once you find the temperature/pressure ratio, you can adjust the legnth of your liquid lines to match the pressure. this is how you get a good pour. you should probably need around 5 to 10 feet of line between the keg and the tap in order to have enough restriction for a good pour.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to chalk it up to the lines being too short. They are currently 5 feet. I think if I replace them with 10 foot lines things may get better.

This is my first time having a kegerator so I suppose there will be a learning curve.

Either way, I am happy. It is pretty awesome having taps in the house.

Back