CO2 prices in Austin - Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Just filled a 20# and a 5# bottle at Praxair on Montopolis off of Ben White. Here's the details.

20# cost $21.44

5# cost $12.30

PLUS $ 2.00 Cylinder Exchange & Maintence & Inspection fee ($1 each bottle)
PLUS $3.37 Hazmat charge
PLUS $3.23 Sales Tax

Total $ 42.34 for 25# of CO2 or $1.70 per pound if combined & rounded.

exchange & maintenance & inspection fee? hazmat charge? It's a fuggin CO2 tank, not a 50 gallon drum of toxic waste, for f*cks sake. And if its inspection is not expired, then they shouldn't have to do sh*t except fill it...and you're not "exchanging" anything either, you're getting them to fill it. It's not like a propane tank. Maybe you have different state laws there? I paid $10 to get my 5lb tank filled the other day. No fees except sales tax. Of course, the other 5lber that I got off craigslist is past inspection so they need to send it away---but that's only $15 and then I'm set for another what, 5 years?

I don't get those extra charges, really.

You wanna be sick? The guy over at the fire safety place that just did my hydro for $12 said the Pepsi distributor across the street is paying $.005 and they were pissed because it's up from $.0045 /lb. Of course, they buy it in 8 ton loads.

I actually exchanged mine. They took two fairly new tanks too, but gave me nice ones in return. Then again, I have an old 20# that will get exchanged soon, for a nice one hopefully.

I went through 20# in about just over a year. It was used to purge kegs and push about 100 gallons of beer at various parties.

Evan! said:
Why'd you exchange it?

That's how they do it. Transaction took about 5 minutes. I'm not complaining either. Last time, I took my 5# in the handle had broken off. The guy exhanged it without a comment.

That's strange if you ask me. If I were you, and my inspection wasn't expired, and the tanks were in good condition (I could see why you'd want to exchange one with a broken handle) I'd tell them to just fill the tank I handed them, and wave the nearly $6 in surcharges. But that's just me.

Sounds like they have a pretty good racket going on, actually. Take one guy's tank, exchange it for the last guy's tank, and rake in an extra $6 for "hazmat" and "exchange/maintenance/inspection" fees...and the cycle continues---each guy gets the last guy's tank, and their "inspection" comprises of looking at it for 5 seconds to make sure it's not gonna kasplode.

If I ever get into refilling CO2 tanks, remind me to set up a scheme like that. :D

The 'maintenance' fee seems like a simple way for them to spread out the costs of... well... maintenance (hydro testing, replacing busted knobs, blown relief valves, whatever). I agree that it only makes sense in the case where they EXCHANGE tanks rather than filling tanks which you must maintain yourself.

Obviously since it's costing them money to take care of the tanks, they're going to recoup that cost somewhere. They could do it by upping the cost of the fill itself, but then I can't imagine it costs them much more to maintain a 20# tank than a 5# tank so it makes more sense in that case to have a flat-rate maintenance fee for all tanks, and keep the price of the fill separate, otherwise the hidden 'maintenance' portion of the fill price would cost you 4 times as much for a 20# vs. a 5# tank.

The 'hazmat' fees are no doubt just fees incurred due to government regulations and such. This probably varies widely from state to state, which could explain why you don't see those fees - or they might just be absorbed into the fill cost.

With all that said, given the fact that the fill prices can very so widely between states (or even between shops in the same state, or even same city) the fill cost itself (not counting surcharges) really does seem to be largely just a crap shoot based on what people will pay - but I still don't think the aforementioned fees are necessarily not legitimate.

Still, after all the fees, it boils down to these prices to swap tanks.

$16.23 for the 5#

$26.11 for the 20#

Seems pretty reasonable to me compared to what other prices I've seen here on the board.

I just took in an old 20# co2 tank (last and only hydro test date was 11/87), and paid $24.50 for a hydro test and $29.95 for a fill. This was at a fire extinguisher shop.

In the past I have I have exchanged my 5# tank at a welding shop and it's usually $16.xx out the door after taxes and fees. I'll definitely be exchanging my 5# tank next time as well, because they gave me a tank with a hydro date of 2/00 stamped on it. No way I'm paying for a hydro test on a tank I don't own.

I thought I had a good deal going. $13 for a 5lb fill or exchange. If I want it filled, I have to leave it for them to take to their other location 45mins away where their co2 filling or whatever is, if I exchange it I can have a full tank right away so I just exchange. But that's $2.60 a pound, more than you guys are paying.

We have a big "holiday" coming up tomorrow around here, and he asked my if I wanted to swap for a 100lb tank this time, I was like, I don't know where I'd put it.

Well, I must have a leak somewhere in my kegerator. I emptied a 10# CO2 tank in about 5 weeks. So, I went and swapped out the 10# plus the 5# that I use to purge kegs and what not with. Total cost: $21.

Sounds about right. I paid $17 to a local fire extinguisher company for my 5lb. Might be a better deal around, I haven't hunted it too much. But this place fills it on the spot in a matter of minutes so I liked that a lot.

I would dare to guess that everyone pays a hazardous material charge, Ed's place just happens to itemize the bill. You have to remember that the DOT considers filled pressure vessels such as CO2 tanks as hazardous material and the shop is going to pass along any applicable charges...

My last 5lb fill cost me .... $38! At praxair, anyways. There's a welding company that said they'd do it cheaper, but claimed that since my tank didn't have Canadian DOT stamps and all this other BS they couldn't fill it. I went down the street to Praxair and the lady was like WTF? There's no such thing. So I'm paying a premium, in more ways than one, but my tank gets filled.

Going to check out fire extinguisher shops next time.

JnJ said:
Here in San Antonio, my 5lbs is $7.00 out the door. That is both for a exchange or refill, my choice....

JnJ I live in San Antonio and looking to get my C02 filled, can you tell me where you went?

i'm in a club that has a cash account with a company, and i paid $4.50 for a 10 lb swap. it's a massive markup on those things

lumpher said:
i'm in a club that has a cash account with a company, and i paid $4.50 for a 10 lb swap. it's a massive markup on those things

Your in a club in SA? Can anyone go to the place for CO2? if so what is the name of it, thanks for the help

Bringing an old thread back. I didn't pay attention to my tank and just tried to have it filled at Austin homebrew. I need it recertified or an exchange. What places are available for those services in the greater austin area. I'm in Georgetown so more northern the better.

I was in a bind right before Christmas & needed a tank fill, and AHS wouldn't do it because it had expired. Took it to Round Rock Welding Supply & they straight exchanged it for a filled tank without any messing about with certification. And it was cheaper than Airgas & AHS... They saved Christmas :)

http://www.dupuyoxygen.com/location.asp?ID=6

Back