CO2 Leak problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwearly

Reaction score
Last week, I tried to counter pressure fill a couple of bottles with some parts I found at work. It was no good and just made a mess. I hooked the keg back up, added another keg that finished its secondary time and by morning my CO2 tank was empty. Both kegs are fed from a single regulator through a stainless steel T. The original keg had been hooked up for several weeks w/ no problems so I assumed I hadn't tightened my connections. I checked them and most were far from tight (late night). I refilled the CO2 tank yesterday and was annoyed to find my tank empty again this morning. :mad: I know I should have checked for leaks before hand, but I thought I had gotten them by just tightening.

Searched through previous post, and found some ideas to check, but I have a couple of questions:
-Are the flared nylon washers required when you are using the ball lock disconnect that has 1/4" MFL disconnect? The MFL disconnect is partly plastic so I thought that would perform the same function as a washer.
-I hadn't used the keg before when I had the problems, but I replaced all of the O rings (i.e. 2 ball lock, 2 on dip tubes and 1 lid). When I put the ball lock disconnect on the new keg, they slid on easily. On the first keg, I nearly got out a hammer to get the disconnect on. Typically how easy are they to go on the first time?
-How often does the washer in the regulator need to be replaced?
-What is the preferred method/product to check for leaks?
-After I use the soap solution to look for leaks in all of the spots I can think of, I plan to unhook the ball lock to determine if it maintains its pressure over night. If that works I will pressurize the system, including the kegs then turn off the CO2. If I lose pressure, I will assume any potential leak is related to the disconnects when engaged to the ball lock or in the keg. Any other pointer/methods to check for leaks?

Make sure you have a good gasket where your regulator connects to the tank and make sure it is tightened enough.

Poppets are notorious for leaking. So are keg lids. This is where keg lube comes in handy.

I use Star San in a spray bottle when I keg. I will seal the lid with 12# PSI, then vent and charge several times to purge the head space of O2. I then spray the lid, relief valve and posts with star san and look for bubbles.

The only other places are hose and fitting connections from the Gray ball lock to the tank. Spray all with star san and look for bubbles.

Back